Router Bits For Neck Profile

I've always done my necks the traditional way - spokeshaves, rasps, chisels, and a lot of sandpaper. But I was thinking about this the other day. I prefer a really fat neck - about 1" thick, with a C profile. And I was thinking I could just shape it with a 1" radius roundover bit. The biggest problem I think I'd run into is that at the nut end, even with a 1-3/4" nut, it's not 2" wide, so there'd be some cleanup work. But it would get 90% of the job done in just a couple of minutes.

Anybody ever tried anything like that? Have I missed any big potential problems?

Thanks.

Actually I have seen that. I had a guy bring me some necks he wanted me to make copies of for him and one of the bass necks was done like that. It was flattened out on the back and then just a round over bit was used to give it the profile. It was really comfortable and played better than anything else that I have ever played.

yeah, i have had a few people bring me necks with that flat back and roundover kind of shape its its comfier than i expected - always been someone who carves quire round shapes before but i am leaning more towards that kind of thing on some necks now

I do all mine this way, with various roundovers depending on the thickness of the neck (3/4", 7/8" or 1"). You can also get bits called table edge bits that are more of a section of an oval. There are also companies that will make you a custom roundover with any shape you like, but be prepared to shell out $300 or more.

IMO this is best done with an overarm router with the blades facing down. I tried it once on a router table, and it did not go well.