Toggle Switch, Keep Two Signals Separate?

Devon8822

Quick question. I would like to use a toggle switch in a guitar basically as a killswitch. I have two pickups and I want to keep their signals separate so I can send them to different places. However I want to switch them both on and both off with the same switch. Is this possible with say a DPDT switch? and how would I wire that? Thanks!

Yes it is possible. You would make sure that they share the same signal ground, but then on the DPDT switch, you send the hot lead of each pickup to the middle lug of the two different sides. The output from each pickup would be on one of the end lugs and then the other end lugs would be grounded. That would give you a kill switch for both pickups while keeping the signals completely separate to do whatever you want with.

from what i am reading your not really wanting to be able to switch between pickups just turn them on and off (im guessing two amps with some kind of foot switch to switch between them). you could do this with a strat or tele switch but they either have 3 or 5 possitions so you would have atleast one extra possition.

The easiest way to put a killswitch on a strat without modification would but the add a push/pull pot. If you aren't familiar with them, push/pulls are a DTDP and pot in one. You pull up on the tone/vol knob to turn your killswitch on, no drilling required. All you have to do is wire the out from the volume(leading to the jack) to the middle pole, ground goes to the side closer to the pot, and the lead going to the jack goes to the side away from the pot.

Ok, I'll try and wire up my 5 way switch for this purpose than, that way I can keep my 1990 Ibanez Jem looking stock. The switch looks like this:

http://www.electric-guitar-info.com/images/5-way-switch.jpg

I am thinking that I can have the On mode being the down position on the switch and than the other 4 selections can act as a killswitch. How can I do that, I dont want to have any noise when I unselect the pickups.

I still dont know how I would wire that up, would anybody be able to edit the picture with some wiring for me? Help would be truly appreciated!