Just Thought I Would Share - 46 Combos With 2 Humbuckers!

xadioriderx

I was asked to draw up a diagram for someone else, and finally today i added it to my webpage, and listed out all (46)of the combos you get. Its for an HH setup, and i hadnt realized it produces THAT many combinations :D

now, let me start by saying, its overkill, and i would never use it myself. and i cant imagine anyone using most of them. but oh well, it was fun!

so heres the basics:

2 Volume Push/Pull, 2 Tone Push/Pull, 2 DP3T ON-ON-ON Switches, 3 way pickup selector.

Neck Volume P/P Up puts both humbuckers in series "megabucker"

Neck Tone P/P Up kills sound "killswitch"

Bridge Volume P/P Up Reverses Phase of Bridge Humbucker to OOP with Neck

Bridge Tone P/P Up Routes Bridge Directly to output "blower switch"

Each DP3T sets its humbucker bobbins to Series(normal)-Split Coil-Parallel

Tonal Options (NVU=neck volume up, etc; NDP3T1= Neck DP3T in setting 1):

> 3way in ANY Position:

-- BTU (Any others) BDP3T1 = Bridge only Humbucking (all pots bypassed)

-- BTU (Any others) BDP3T2 = Bridge only Split to Single Coil (all pots bypassed)

-- BTU (Any others) BDP3T3 = Bridge only Parallel (all pots bypassed)

-- NTU (Any others except BTU) = Kill

> 3way in neck position:

-- NVD NTD BV(any) BTD NDP3T1 BDP3T(any) = Neck Only Humbucking

-- NVD NTD BV(any) BTD NDP3T2 BDP3T(any) = Neck Only Split to Single Coil

-- NVD NTD BV(any) BTD NDP3T3 BDP3T(any) = Neck Only Parallel

-- NVU (Any other) = Kill

> 3way in middle position:

-- NVD NTD BVD BTD NDP3T1 BDP3T1 = Both in humbucking, parallel, in phase

-- NVD NTD BVD BTD NDP3T2 BDP3T1 = Neck split, bridge humbucking, parallel, in phase

-- NVD NTD BVD BTD NDP3T3 BDP3T1 = Neck poles parallel, bridge humbucking, parallel, in phase

-- NVD NTD BVD BTD NDP3T1 BDP3T2 = Neck humbucking, bridge split, parallel, in phase

-- NVD NTD BVD BTD NDP3T2 BDP3T2 = Both split, parallel, in phase

-- NVD NTD BVD BTD NDP3T3 BDP3T2 = Neck poles parallel, bridge split, parallel, in phase

-- NVD NTD BVD BTD NDP3T1 BDP3T3 = Neck humbucking, bridge poles parallel, parallel, in phase

-- NVD NTD BVD BTD NDP3T2 BDP3T3 = Neck split, bridge poles parallel, parallel, in phase

-- NVD NTD BVD BTD NDP3T3 BDP3T3 = Both set of poles parallel, parallel, in phase

-- NVU NTD BVD BTD NDP3T1 BDP3T1 = Both in humbucking, series (megabucker), in phase

-- NVU NTD BVD BTD NDP3T2 BDP3T1 = Neck split, bridge humbucking, series (megabucker), in phase

-- NVU NTD BVD BTD NDP3T3 BDP3T1 = Neck poles parallel, bridge humbucking, series (megabucker), in phase

-- NVU NTD BVD BTD NDP3T1 BDP3T2 = Neck humbucking, bridge split, series (megabucker), in phase

-- NVU NTD BVD BTD NDP3T2 BDP3T2 = Both split, series (megabucker), in phase

-- NVU NTD BVD BTD NDP3T3 BDP3T2 = Neck poles parallel, bridge split, series (megabucker), in phase

-- NVU NTD BVD BTD NDP3T1 BDP3T3 = Neck humbucking, bridge poles parallel, series (megabucker), in phase

-- NVU NTD BVD BTD NDP3T2 BDP3T3 = Neck split, bridge poles parallel, series (megabucker), in phase

-- NVU NTD BVD BTD NDP3T3 BDP3T3 = Both set of poles parallel, series (megabucker), in phase

-- NVU NTD BVU BTD NDP3T1 BDP3T1 = Both in humbucking, series (megabucker), out of phase

-- NVU NTD BVU BTD NDP3T2 BDP3T1 = Neck split, bridge humbucking, series (megabucker), out of phase

-- NVU NTD BVU BTD NDP3T3 BDP3T1 = Neck poles parallel, bridge humbucking, series (megabucker), out of phase

-- NVU NTD BVU BTD NDP3T1 BDP3T2 = Neck humbucking, bridge split, series (megabucker), out of phase

-- NVU NTD BVU BTD NDP3T2 BDP3T2 = Both split, series (megabucker), out of phase

-- NVU NTD BVU BTD NDP3T3 BDP3T2 = Neck poles parallel, bridge split, series (megabucker), out of phase

-- NVU NTD BVU BTD NDP3T1 BDP3T3 = Neck humbucking, bridge poles parallel, series (megabucker), out of phase

-- NVU NTD BVU BTD NDP3T2 BDP3T3 = Neck split, bridge poles parallel, series (megabucker), out of phase

-- NVU NTD BVU BTD NDP3T3 BDP3T3 = Both set of poles parallel, series (megabucker), out of phase

-- NVD NTD BVU BTD NDP3T1 BDP3T1 = Both in humbucking, parallel, in phase

-- NVD NTD BVU BTD NDP3T2 BDP3T1 = Neck split, bridge humbucking, parallel, out of phase

-- NVD NTD BVU BTD NDP3T3 BDP3T1 = Neck poles parallel, bridge humbucking, parallel, out of phase

-- NVD NTD BVU BTD NDP3T1 BDP3T2 = Neck humbucking, bridge split, parallel, out of phase

-- NVD NTD BVU BTD NDP3T2 BDP3T2 = Both split, parallel, out of phase

-- NVD NTD BVU BTD NDP3T3 BDP3T2 = Neck poles parallel, bridge split, parallel, out of phase

-- NVD NTD BVU BTD NDP3T1 BDP3T3 = Neck humbucking, bridge poles parallel, parallel, out of phase

-- NVD NTD BVU BTD NDP3T2 BDP3T3 = Neck split, bridge poles parallel, parallel, out of phase

-- NVD NTD BVU BTD NDP3T3 BDP3T3 = Both set of poles parallel, parallel, out of phase

> 3way in bridge position:

-- NVD NTD BV(any) BTD NDP3T(any) BDP3T1 = Bridge only Humbucking

-- NDU (Any others) = Kill

-- NVD NTD BVD BTD NDP3T(any) BDP3T2 = Bridge split to upper bobbin

-- NVD NTD BVU BTD NDP3T(any) BDP3T2 = Bridge split to lower bobbin

-- NVD NTD BV(any) BTD NDP3T(any) BDP3T3 = Bridge poles parallel

and the diagram:

wiring3.jpg

Edited by xadioriderx

I think I'm going to try this wiring set up in luthier school this year.

You could probably do enough research with all those combinations to get a PhD. Heck just writing the user documentation should get you a good way down the line. :D

I keep getting this picture in my mind of someone doing a show with a half hour between songs and frantic flicking of switches and pots following a set of notes to set up for the next song :D

I would never have the patience to sit and work it all out or burn my brain out wiring it all.

Interesting though.

Keith

Varitones are fun to play with if you like to experiment. I have a strat-type guitar that has the second tone knob replaced with a varitone. With all the varitone positions, two split humbuckers, and a kill switch, it yields something like 73 combinations, if you count all the varitone positions. I have a mind to replace the varitone with some sort of high-pass filter though. Or maybe a DIY piezo. We'll see.

• 2 weeks later...

That's a little too many combinations to keep track of... :D

:D no kidding. id be in the middle of gigging and be like "hold on a sec!" *flips switches, strums once* "nope, hold on" *flips a few more, strums again* "crap, i cant remember what sound i wanted... youll have to wait a minute while i...!" B) "stupid users manual..."

Edited by xadioriderx

Incidentally, I completely agree with you guys. The OP's schematic was theoretical, and while mine was actually done, it was a learning project.

actually, i drew it up for a guy to use, so its not theoretical lol

but if you add a single coil with phase reversal so its HHS, and series parallel.... hmmm XD

• 3 months later...

welcome welcome welcome my friend to the mad scientist club. with that diagram you have officially toked on the electronics crack pipe and i salute you that is some straight up jimmy page from mars stuff i love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!