Swapping the bridge of an OLP ?

Hi all, newbie here ;-)

I was wondering if any of you have already tried swapping the standard bridge out of a OLP Silhouette ? You know, those cheap MusicMan-licensed copies ?

The standard bridge is OK, as long as you don't use the bar - which I love doing. Would it be possible to exchange it with a Floyd Rose or Wilkinson ? Which would be best (i.e. would require the least routing / drilling) ?

Any other suggestions, info... would be welcome !!!

Thanks,

Nick

If your going to swap it out with a floating trem and you need to drill out the holes for the the trem post anchors you better be sure there is enough wood in place to do so first.

I've seen a few people drill straight through into the claw cavity on some guitars.

Take a look at the Trem route comparision chart for an idea of what you'll need to do for a floyd. In addition to the trem rout, you'll need to factor in the locking nut installation for a floyd. The Wilky is relatively inexpensive but you'll need to install a graphite nut and replace your tuners with locking ones like sperzels. Another option is to fill in the holes like in the trem to hardtail conversion and install a Kahler (which is something I eventually plan to do.) A final option is to keep your existing trem and upgrade to locking tuners and graphite nut (as you would have done with a Wilky.) It's all a matter of how much you want to spend and how much work you want to do :D.

Thanks for the replies ! Meanwhile, I've made up my mind - it will be a Wilkinson, since I only want a sturdy, reliable trem (and besides, I already have enough Floyd guitars lying around).

The standard trem on an OLP is called a "vintage trem", I believe - the type with 6 screws. Which Wilkinson would fit, and how much of a hassle is it to install it (drop-in replacement would be perfect) ? I had already planned on Sperzel locking tuners and a graphite nut, BTW...

Again, thanks for the support !

litchfield, you really don't like their guitars? what are you camparing them too, because i have heard that they are fantastic for the price and better than most guitars 2x their price. i haven't played one myself but i have looked into getting one because of all the good reviews. and, they are supposedly coming out with a new model at namm, that will be like the ebmm petrucci.

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

Comparing them to the price range. I saw one where the frets literally fell out. On the same one, the dots had become loose. Mine, the pup fried and I replaced it. I watched the old one rust mysteriously. I just dont trust them. I also cant get them to stay in tune no matter what.