Suggestions For Finishing Lacewood Top

This is my fourth from-scratch build inspired by some of the fine work by PG members. It's a 7-string, 26.5" scale superstrat, with a 3-piece carved lacewood top, and two-piece hard maple back. The neck is one-piece QS maple with pau ferro FB. The hardware will be gold and the pups will be white HBs.

I'm looking for suggestions on finishing -- particularly because the lacewood top has a very textured open grain.

I've done two Tru-Oil finishes in past that worked very well. I've also done (and re-did twice) an HVLP finish using water-borne Target EM6000. That wasn't as easy and I still need to improve my technique.

Here's the body wiped down with mineral spirits:

Superstrat%2B15-11-2011%2B10-55-50.jpg

Neck and body dry:

SuperStrat%2B13-11-2011%2B4-20-36.jpg

Back is hard maple. I will make a lacewood cover plate.

IMG-20111113-00151.jpg

I don't know about a burst, but I'm tempted by the dark grain-fill. What filler product would you suggest using, and what color for the trans?

(I remember one of Drak's amazing finishes, where he bleached the lacewood, then dyed it with a black sand-back, then finally a reptilian green - wow!)

I'd really love to get a mirror gloss with lots of depth to the lacewood, but I'm a bit intimidated by all the sanding and care required wth this carve. That's why Tru-Oil is my fall-back option.