Gluing Tune-o-matic Bushings

Hi all,

I refinished a custom built guitar that I built about 6 years ago and I ordered new parts from Stewmac. The old parts I was using were from a cheap Epiphone guitar and it looks like the bridge and tailpiece bushings must have been 1/2" whereas the new Gotoh bushings are 7/16". So needless to say there is a little play when I put the new bushings in. Can I just glue the new ones in? If so what type of glue would work best? Or what are my options here?

Thanks.

Edited by frubsen

I had this problem recently with some wraparound bushings.

Best thing to do is glue in a dowel ( with Titebond, etc) then re-drill. You can use just glue, but you'll have better results with re-drilling as it will be metal on wood. It's subtle, but it makes a difference and it's worth the extra bit of time.

If you decide to go the glue route, I would use epoxy.

Edited by NotYou

+2, 1/16" is a pretty sloppy gap. If you're refinishing to make it a better guitar, than do it right and plug a redrill. The only thing I will go against Not You on is the dowels. Don't use dowels, use plugs. Dowels will you drilling into the end grain, plug you drill across the grain, like the rest of the body.