P-bass Pup For Uke

brian d

Many times an original thought has been thought of before. My latest is to use a P-Bass pickup for a uke type instrument. I know that it has been done with part of the pickup like this but I was thinking of using one half as the neck pup and the other half as a bridge pup running as a humbucker when wired in series.

I'd like to pick your brains about wiring such a beast. A bass pickup usually uses 250K pots, a humbucker for more guitar type instruments usually has 500K pots....which would you use for this configuration where it is a bass pickup but being used as a non-bass humbucker?

For switching, I was thinking about either a mini-toggle for "coil splitting" either way which would act like a 3 way pickup switch (bridge single/humbucker/neck single) OR push/pull with series/parallel (less choices, but maybe better ones?) OR mini-toggle with series/one coil/parallel (is being able to split one coil and not the other worth having an extra switch?)

This is all new territory for me, so any advice would be appreciated.

• 6 months later...

just a quick point. you realize most of the ukes are nylon string.... but yeah its cool idea. i have some bass pickups if you want them lol someone gave me a box of pickup and i have been trying to get rid of them for two years

hey thanks good idea yeah i always ask people cause i do so many pickup swaps and people just give me bunch of them. plus i closed out a repair center lol ie they closed i jumped into a dumpster to get stuff lol

I don't remember what value I used for the volume for that ukulele, but I *think* it was 500K. But at the same time, if you add a bridge pickup it migh be good to use a 250K to tame the top end a bit. The sound in that uke have a good amount of bite even though the pickup is in the neck position only. I think that a bridge pickup will be quite trebly/harsh.

Anyway, I think you should keep things simple and go with a P90 Gibson setup, ie a two single coil pickup config with a simple three way switch for neck/neck + bridge/brigde selection. .