What Did I Do Wrong?

angussg

Hey everyone, I just wired up my guitar using the second diagram on this page (http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/Electronics/Switches/i-3191.html), and only the 2nd and 4th positions are producing sound. The other three positions are only audible when on high gain and even then they are really quiet and sound distant. Any ideas on what I may have done wrong? thanks!

did you use this switch?

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Components:_Switches_and_knobs/Lever-action_Pickup_Switch.html

cause everything I have heard about it say's its a piece o crap. Check for loose connections, especially at the solder points for positions 1, 3, and 5. tug firmly (not hard) on them also if they are not loose because you may have a broken wire inside the solder connection (This has happened to me before). Check and see if any wires are grounding or partially grounding themselves. Also, don't be nervous as this is unlikely but still possible, if you overheated the switch it may not work properly, but again this is unlikely as you said it works on 2 and 4. Please do post pictures.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

if you used the three way wiring for two pickups on a five way like shown. most switches won't work. also if you used one of those crazy stewmac switches that have a preset strat wiring diagram they have only recently fixed the link for its internal wiring. for about a year there seven lug switch for strats was made completely wrong from what they showed in the wiring diagrams. i still have one of the bad ones it was quite a pain in the arse. check Seymour Duncan website they have the clearest schematics i have seen in years

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...