Build 1 -> Neck Through Super Strat

shaping the heel is not that difficult. you just need sharp chisels, a bastard file and a rasp. Oh a lots of sandpaper.

Dude, I think I spent about 3 hours rasping and sanding the heel before I was comfortable with it haha. I feel like I should have went the "Angle grinder" route that some have suggested here.... oh well, next time! :D

The curve should be concave on the heel,not convex...

Its concave now, Im STILL working on it, its being a pain in the arse! I threw primer on there to make sure I dont have any low or high spots on the sides.

I must be doing something wrong, but this isn't working out very well by hand haha, I'll definitely be going the "angle grinder" route next time around.

Oh yeah, got this in the mail today :D

img20120423112222.jpg

img20120423112355.jpg

Edited by bob123

That grain pattern is astonishing! :D I'm envious in the extreme B)

dont be now! haha

Well gluing a top down wasnt as easy as I thought it would be. I went frisky with the contoured body, that appeared to go well, but since I clamped the bejesus out of the countoured part, I have a lovely gap right down the middle now hahaha.

My plan is to route out a 1/2" strip of oak and inlay that down the middle. we shall see how that goes! :) I'll keep my eye out for some woods I can use, but Im tired of all my stupid mistakes :D

Edited by bob123

My plan is to route out a 1/2" strip of oak and inlay that down the middle. we shall see how that goes! B) I'll keep my eye out for some woods I can use, but Im tired of all my stupid mistakes :D

A slightly neater solution may be to get a strip of brown binding, or even better, tortoise shell binding, slighly wider than the thickness of the top, and 2.5 thick, and route a 2.5mm slot down the center of the top just wide enough to push the binding in on its edge. Glue it in and smooth it down level. That would give you a nice clean line without looking like a fixed mistake. I did that on a guitar with a two piece body. The glue line on the back wasn't visible, but it could be seen slightly on the top. The binding strip covered it nicely :D

My plan is to route out a 1/2" strip of oak and inlay that down the middle. we shall see how that goes! :D I'll keep my eye out for some woods I can use, but Im tired of all my stupid mistakes :D

Dont worry about the mistakes man.half the fun is learning how to hide them.

I would not bother with oak. Its very plain looking. Id get a strip of ash or maby even pine (flat sawn) They will at least have a little bit of grain in them. they tend to take stain very well also.

That grain pattern is astonishing! :D I'm envious in the extreme B)

dont be now! haha

Well gluing a top down wasnt as easy as I thought it would be. I went frisky with the contoured body, that appeared to go well, but since I clamped the bejesus out of the countoured part, I have a lovely gap right down the middle now hahaha.

My plan is to route out a 1/2" strip of oak and inlay that down the middle. we shall see how that goes! :) I'll keep my eye out for some woods I can use, but Im tired of all my stupid mistakes :D

Separate the pieces and glue them back. That happened to me with a maple top, i had a nice glue line...had to separate and start over. Looks much better than inlaying a piece of other wood. Trust me

Separate the pieces and glue them back. That happened to me with a maple top, i had a nice glue line...had to separate and start over. Looks much better than inlaying a piece of other wood. Trust me

I wasn't sure how to separate the top. :D I tried in the top corner, ended up snapping a peice of the damn redwood off. Its such a brittle wood, I dont think I will use it again, despite its awesome looks.

but... I tried this : (post from other forum)

Bear with me haha! when I clamped the top, the sides ended up "pulling out" to the sides (clamp slide, aka I need to figure a better way to clamp these things :D) So isntead of scrapping the whole top, I routed out a half inch oak inlay to go inside. Looks like crap right now (I know!), but once glue dries, and I can get it sanded down flat, and get everything back in order, I am confident it will come out well.

img20120426155103.jpg

And I decided to build some router rails... worked like a charm! B)

img20120426155202.jpg

Edited by bob123