Need Paint And Clearcoat Help...

I just ordered a strat body and I want to do a burst... But not a typical burst.

I'm wanting something I haven't seen that will involve some flake and kandy paint.... Here's my questions...

1. After body prep, can I use krylon for the base, airbrush for the kandy?

2. I want to sink the paint so as not to get it damaged, would a laquer or a lot of clear do better?

I would like to use house of color all the way through but I don't have my auto paint set up anymore. I have never painted wood so I assume its a similar process as a Chevy or a Harley.... Right?

Am I to assume you've never painted automotive paints?

If this is the case I'd suggest not trying flake and candy as your first paint job.

Being that you have "no equipment" leads me to think maybe try something basic??

I used to paint a lot of cars motorcycles and the like. I have since sold off the equipment when I moved states. It's been a few years and since I am building a guitar, I'd like to do the paint.

Is it possible to just use an airbrush set up for the edges and use a krylon spray can for the main thing? I want a 2 color burst.

Also what clear would be good? Laquer or just a spray paint clear coat? Or should I just bury my pride and have it painted?

You can use cans ,both for paint and clear.There are threads already pined in here I think that go over this.I believe auto paint stores are where they get the supplies,so that should be right up your ally.The trick is to get the right maker of paint and clear,for best use.Good luck to ya.

If you've painted bikes and cars, then use the methods and paints you are used to.

Only thing that is different is the paint will sink into the grain.

You can either fill with grain filler, or fill it with bondo/bog before you prime

That's what I thought demon. Ok. Well I'll wait to see how good the grain looks when I get it. I ordered a 2nd quality ash wood body from allparts. It was $60 so I hope it doesn't need much to go. The more I think about it, the more I wonder if it would be better to cover the wood. But that depends on the look of the body...

It might be worthwhile mixing up a batch of dyed epoxy to solve the pore fill you need on Ash and grain enhancement you are looking for. Shame you didn't make the body as you do not have scrap to test this technique (which is a world away from auto stuff) with. Epoxy is of course unforgiving so perhaps a softer grain filler might make this stage easier?

Plenty of places offer this service so they are not difficult to find although none spring to mind right now. I use laser printer decal paper which is why. Print your decal the right way around, apply a dust coat of lacquer to seal it and then release in water same as commercial products. You can embed these between layers of lacquer or apply to sealed wood. I bought my last paper from eBay which was convenient for just the two sheets I needed. One spare in case I screwed it up.

Update... Well all that could go wrong did Lmao!

So I read about timber mate on a few other sites and saw a beautiful translucent blue Tele that had the grain treatment done to it with the timber mate. So I went to my local woodwork store (the people there were so much help and very nice, I will be going back there if I don't give up on building guitars!).

I got some spray dealer and the timber mate stuff. I sanded the body down as directed then forgot the sealer (strike one)

Then I put a mud thickness of timber mate on the body and waited for it to dry (strike two)

As I was feverishly sanding, sweat dripped onto the body and the timbermate loosened, so I figured a light spray of water (not enough to damage, just a spritz and then wet a towel down to work the rest off) now I'm waiting for it to dry over night sa I can sand it down then add the sealer. I figure if worse comes to worse, I can rattle can it a few different coats different colors then sand it in a few spots to look worn.

I think I can save it to stain it with reranch translucent blue, but I dunno.

Anybody else have a comedy of first time errors and recover?

I wouldn't stress about what you described.

I don't use sealers, I have, but I dont anymore. I've ben playing recently with the timber mate stuff, you can see a couple pics of it at the start of my "experimenting" thread. I put it on the raw neck, sanded and cleared. No other products.

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=46396&hl=%2Bsearls+%2Bexperimenting

Hope those pics ease your mind.