Tips On Re-Top Job

Hi!

I wan't to re-top a solid body guitar with a 1/4 inch book-matched flame maple top (not an arch top). I don't really know where to begin! How would I go about making the body thinner? Would I use a planer and then just sand it down to get it level, or would I need other tools? Any tips at all would be helpful!

Thanks,

Bison

I would use a Wagner safe-t-planer. A router on some type of sledge is also a common tool to take a chunk out of a guitar blank, or guitar body.

Trouble is, they don't have them in stock, and as they are no longer manufactured, it is highly unlikely they will ever get any more. They have the cutters, but no good without the planer.It is simple to make a sled to use a router for thinning the body out, so I guess that is probably the easiest option, unless you have access to a thickness planer wide enough to pass the whole body through.

Yeah, I have heard about the guy(s) making th safe-T quiting and the only substitute being a"China made" version. I have not seen any reliable reviews of the new ones so if you decide to get one it would be great to hear your opinion

Mental note to myself: stack up on original replacement cutters...

• 5 weeks later...

Update on the Safe-T-Planer: Today I ordered some parts from Stumac and just to be sure to have spare parts ordered two sets of cutters for the Wagner Safe-T. I go the answer that they only had one set left and that the product are from now on discontinued. So it seems that I got the last set of spare cutters from them. Does anyone know if spare cutters are still available from some other source or if the cutters for the "copy" will fit?