Gibson Help

For some reason guys. my "rhythm" setting on my Gibson doesn't work at all, or its REALLY quiet... the Volume knob is up... but I think I might have a bad pick up... any clue?

Which Gibson do you have? It could also be the switch which is not making properly in the rhythm position. Try cleaning it. Gibson use those open leaf switches which allow you to service them but can also have the contacts bent if your'e not carefull.

Keith

I have a 70's Gibson SG, where the lead PU died and was not as load as it is supposed to be and it sounded very weak, so I had to replace it. As you see this is a possible cause of your problem. If you have a newer Gibson the PU should be ok though. But it's Gibson so you can never know what they messed up this time....:D

Definately check the wiring and switch first....

I also would suspect that the switch is bad. That's the first thing I would check with a multimeter, to see if it's infinite ohms across it when it's switched to it or not. If that's the case then you have a bad switch. It should read 0 ohms across it when it's switched on. If you have a multimeter and know how to use it, you can trace it out in minutes, because it gets costly guessing, buying parts, and then be wrong.

MaTT

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

Doing the Ace Frehley think I have found that the straight tyle is more durable. Gibson uses the angled style, and they cant seem to hack it as well. So If its the switch, go to a straight style if you can.

I opened dup the switch plate on the back... and pulled it out of the housing without disconnecting anything and just sqeezed all the metal contacts together with my thumb and forefinger and switched it back and forth some, and it seems to be working fine now, so it was obviously the switch.

It appears in the replies that this seems to be a reoccuring problem with gibson switches.

Thanks for your help and suggestion guys.