Bobberts Telecaster

Finally, my first "successful" build. No real hiccups, only real problem on the way was chip out when I drilled for the string ferrules. Had to redo some stuff with that. I NEED to add a string retainer (over sight!), waiting for proper neck joint screw ferrules, and she will be ready to rock!

This is pretty much a straight copy-caster, so nothing special here.

Woods ->

Neck -> flame maple neck and fretboard

Body -> 3/8" flame/quilt top, Mahogany back

Finish ->

Neck -> Tru Oil (this stuff is AWESOME)

Body -> analine black stained back and sides (non grain filled), blue/green enhanced top, finished with house of kolor clear

Hardware and Electronics ->

Bill Lawrence Stacked humbucker

dimarzio True Velvet neck

Alpha Pots, 500k

switchcraft jack

Axemasters compensated brass nut

Schaller Locking Tuners

havent decided which strap type Im gonna use yet.

My last phone got stolen, so I lost a lot of pictures, sorry, but heres how she's sitting now.

*Note* I used the bridge to match the ferrule location for body through stuff. It went in kind of an arc, so I matched that on the back side. I will use a ferrule plate next time!

i794.jpg

r8ab.jpg

lqif.jpg

clul.jpg

Nice flame on that neck. Great top. I think by the looks of it that pic that I would 've left it black.......... :rock but that's me, the blue also delivers..

Man, I was killing myself. that with some gold hardware.......... the wifey asked me to color it though... the color shifted from the bottle as it dried unfortunately. It was a nice, pale blue, then it got splotchy and turned really green when I cleared it :( It still looks good, but not like how I had it though. Theres no way I'd have proceeded from there with the stain looking blotchy like that, but Im hoping it will fade and have some kind of charm. If not, I can sand and redo it at some point.

jqd2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

What kind of finish did you use on this? I had some similar fading issues on a headstock that I dyed recently, I blamed it on the epoxie sealer I used but I dont know for sure what caused it. It is very frustrating to say the least. I do like the color you ended up with though, its a shame it came up alittle blotchy.

I like the color scheme. This guitar has very similar specs to the one I just finished. I entered it in the sept gotm:

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/topic/47417-guitar-of-the-month-for-september/

For the ferrules, there is a trick to get those nicely aligned and straight. Do you have a drill press? If so, you're halfway there.

I doubt it was the epoxy. Aniline dyes are notoriously susceptible to UV light. I have seen them fade in as little as 2 days without a UV protective finish.

Be careful with cheap epoxies they turn yellow.

Also not sure what finish was used over top but Oil based finishes are yellow. Yellow and Blue make Green ;)

Hey guys,

I did in fact use analine dye, so that may be the culprit here, if thats what it is. I'll go double check the brand, but the clear coat is a catalyzed medium build urethane, but its definitely water white.

I did use a "cheap" sanding sealer, could that have caused issues as well? (just some cheap water based stuff)

2005 -> I do in fact have a drill press, and I did in fact use it haha. I marked the holes from the bridge directly, maybe something got lost in translation somewhere lol. Still learning, and this isn't anything to sell or anything like that, so I'm not too concerned with it. Functions 100% and sounds great to my ears though, and thats really what I was going for with this build. I do enjoy the similar build patterns though!