Project: 80s Aria Pro II RSB retrofit "Black n' Gold" neck

That's exactly why I laminated it. Chances are that the Wengé laminates will disappear under paint but ultimately they are about altering neck characteristics such as stiffness under tension and more or less removing dead/wolf tones. Jump right in man, the water's warm :-D

Everybody should build a bass.

Shaping the neck and heel transitions using a Liogier #9 cabinet maker's rasp. Divine work with this tool. Easy to work with, fast when you want to hog and controllable when you want to fine-tune a shape without ripping up the grain. All work done from square to shaped with one tool.

I think more often than not it comes down to choice and cut of the wood being used. I don't trust *our* jointer since it is shared and I can't guarantee that so bright spark hasn't run bark over it and chipped or dulled the blades. A jointed face is of superior quality for glueing than a sanded one, but you can't put the wood a jointer accidentally pulls off back on. I'd rather go with a perfect gapless sanded joint than one that leaves minute feathers of glue pocketing along the fingerboard seam. Which will be painted over anyway, but still. Best practice and all that.

• 6 months later...

It'll be a Metric radius value on the originals. I'm not aware of what it was but I could do some digging. Thing is, the Matsumoku factory had a distinct habit of differences between what was on the spec sheets in catalogues and what came out of the cases. I measured the radius on the outside casing of the MB pickup from an SB and approximated a 300mm radius. That's about 12" so going off that isn't unreasonable.

This neck will be 16" as the person I am making it for is quite the Cliff Burton and Billy Gould fan; lighter string gauges for bending, etc. By increasing the radius marginally it'll help prevent fretting out during bends. I'd stick with 12" as per the original, however this tweak should be beneficial for the end use.

Shame you're having to replace a fingerboard. The original fretwork on the Matsumoku instruments was exemplary.