Project Diablo -- Reprint

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Super Diablo
The black blooded super strat from Hades.

Soft maple bodied SuperStrat for customer. I was going to use poplar on this one but after going through every guitar in my collection we decided on a little more clarity and ring. Hopefully we will get that from the maple. This body is based on a cross between an RG and a Blackmachine. 8/4 Soft Maple. The 5 piece neck is maple/bloodwood with a bloodwood fretboard. Regular tenon ending in the neck pickup

Neck : Maple/Bloodwood
Fretboard : Bloodwood
Scale : 25.5
Frets : 24
Trussrod : Double Expanding Truss Rod

Body : 2 Piece Soft Maple
Tuners : Hipshot open back
Pickups : Custom Bloodwood Humbuckers (vintage alnico5 neck,hot vintage alnico8 bridge)
Bridge : Wilkinson
Electronics : Push/Pull Volume Knob

Body Blank
imgp0575.jpg

Neck Blank gluing
imgp0576.jpgimgp0577.jpg
imgp0579.jpgimgp0585.jpg

I ended up changing my mind and put 2 bloodwood pieces with a veneer of maple in between. Should look crazy.
PA040169.jpgPA040170.jpg

I clamped the neck blank to the table so it didn't move while waiting on the glue to tack up. I also use the left over cuttoff from the scarf to make a caul for the clamps to sit on.
PA040172.jpgPA040173.jpg

Body rough cut within 1/16" of the template. Since I have issues with routing and tear-out I have taken the advice of smarter dudes. I now trim the blank as close as I can to the template with the bandsaw.
PA040175.jpg

I need a new (more stable, more square) router table... until then I work around it. Then I use the hand router to trim 1/2" into the cut. This gives me a chance to learn the wood. I then use the table router to cut another 3/4" carefully off the body. And finish up with a final pass with the 3 blade 2" bit. Worked pretty well for me.
PA040176.jpgPA040177.jpg
PA040178.jpg

Neck rough cut using the bandsaw... I really need a larger belt sander. It would make this part easier. I never like trusting the jointer... it it it well it tears-out!
PA110207.jpg
After I get it close with the jointer I usually sand it on the belt sander and then make sure it is true by hand.
PA110210.jpgPA110211.jpg

Slotting the fretboard on the old radial arm saw. Bloodwood actually just burns... every slot was accompanied by a little puff of smoke. Also ruined more than one piece of paper on the thickness sander. It just clogs and burns. Really have to be careful and feed pieces through at an angle so they don't build up too much heat. That works for about 2 passes then it manages to clog and burn anyway. Bloodwood clogs the hand sanding block.
PA110208.jpgPA110213.jpg
PA110214.jpg

Trussrod routed and glued in with a little silicon. Add a couple of clamps to make sure it stays down. I also wax the threads and moving pieces on the rod to make sure no glue sticks to it.
PA110215.jpgPA110217.jpg

Bloodwood Humbucker. Alnico8... 53mm... 12k+/-... some special voodoo... This thing rocks.
PB010329.jpgPB010328.jpg
PB010330.jpg

Setup for gluing the top. I have a red veneer to go under the top. The top is .60" in for a shallow carve. I eneded up gluing the whole thing together at one time. Not recomended unless you have done it before... it has a pension for disaster. The idea is to glue one side together and have it clamped exactly. Next I spread glue all over everything and set the other side in place. Then I use 2 clamps and pull the top together from the sides before clamping it to the body.
After that I clamp it to the body and also use a couple of curved cauls across the top to put downward preassure in the middle. You have to reposition the clamps a lot.
PB040333.jpgPB040337.jpg
PB040338.jpgPB040339.jpg

I really need to standardize this process. I really get tired of making special templates for every build. I think I have my necks about right and maybe it is time to really start making the same neck over and over instead of everything being completely custom every time.

Fresh out of the clamps after gluing the fretboard on. A quick look at the rough blank.
PB120395.jpg PB120394.jpg

PB120393.jpg

Then I found this... A friggin knot was hiding in the blank. Crap. Looks like hell. I will have to see what happens when I shape the neck.
PB120403.jpg

All right no time to worry about the knot now. Trim the neck to stop in the neck pickup and make a new template for the neck pocket.
PB120408.jpg PB120407.jpg

The centerline is obvious on the spalted flamed maple so I am working from that. Template attached, rough out the route with the forstner bit then clean up with the router. The main thing I hate is the little points the forstner leaves so I set the depth of the drill press a 1/8" high.
PB120409.jpg PB120411.jpg

PB120412.jpg PB120413.jpg