Project Diablo -- Reprint

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Time to start some rough carving. Last time I fretted the neck first. It moved after carving. This time I am carving it first. After trimming some wood with the bandsaw I started in with the spokeshave. The birdseye maple started to tear out... so I moved to the sanding disk. Not my favorite way to do this but I am not risking a deep tearout or gouge mark.
PB120421.jpg PB120422.jpg

PB120427.jpg PB120428.jpg

Finished cleaning up the lines on the body. I was going to start routing the body but got tired and decided to go drink instead. I always make mistakes when I get tired. Parts come in on Wednsday so I will probably try to finish up next weekend and get ready for finishing. I still have to thin the body but I need to get some other stuff ready becasue when I switch the bandsaw blade to resaw I have some other stuff to resaw.
PB120434.jpg PB120436.jpg

PB120437.jpg PB120439.jpg

Lay out the trem route for the wilkinson, studs, and pickups. 25.5" scale neck. The studs go at 25.25". I put the back of the bridge HB route at 24.75". Back of the neck route goes at 21.00"
PB170457.jpg PB170458.jpg

I used a 3/8" forstner bit in the corners to help prevent tear-out while routing. The HBs will be direct mounted to the body so I have to plan the depth of the route ahead of time.
PB170461.jpg PB170463.jpg
PB170466.jpg

I love mock-ups. The spalted top is a little soft that is why it has the clamp marks. No worries though as it is getting a carve. I really don't like PRS style carves... good thing I am getting paid for this one.
PB170468.jpg PB170469.jpg

Rear routes before I thin the body.. then after losing 3/8" from the back.
PB170472.jpg PB170478.jpg

Then a little steel wool... I stopped polishing the fretoard before fretting because I have to clean the glue after putting my frets in. I tried titebond on one neck and didn't like it. I am now using thick CA on the bottom of the fret. I really probably don't need it at all but sometimes I get paranoid...
PB190470.jpgPB190471.jpg

PB190474.jpgPB190477.jpg

Drilled the input jack. Almost forgot the electronics holes. Now that would have made for an interesting afternoon had I glued the neck in without drilling those holes.
PB190492.jpgPB190493.jpg

I am not sure which I hate more... filling fret ends or having to undercut fret tangs for hidden binding...
PC030453.jpg PC030456.jpg

Finished fitting the control plates. Installed magnets and washers...
PC030457.jpg PC030459.jpg

Electronics holes drilled. I am keeping this simple as usual. One push pull knob. I might install a tap switch for the HBs if the customer wants one. I recess the input jack significantly to keep the lines clean and hide some of the plug.
PC030464.jpg PC030465.jpg

Recessed the tuners... I start with the 5/8 forstner then come back with the 3/8" forstner. Then I turn the thing over and drill out with the 13/32 within an 1/8" of the front. Not sure why guess I am trying to copy some of the factory necks I had in the 80s before companies started cutting corners.
PC040468.jpg PC040472.jpg
PC040473.jpg PC040474.jpg