Striping and Refinishing '75 Rickenbacker 4001

WesRoberts

:D

I have a 1975 Rickenbacker 4001 bass (LEFT HANDED)

It has been refinished (PURPLE) and I wish to return it to the MapleGlo.

IT WILL BE MY FIRST STRIPING PROJECT!!!!! So MUCHO advise is welcome!

Q. Do I Sand of Chem. strip the finish?

Q. Do I remove all the wires and pickguard and knobs (tuners included)?

What should I know before I start?

THANKS!

WR

I'm not sure if an older Ric is poly or lacquer, but if it's lacquer, use Kleen-Strip Varnish remover. It will remove lacquer easily, it's water thin so you just brush on a light coat and let it lift the finish off. It is safe for antiques (says on the can) and I have used it with great results when I had my refinish biz. I like that when most of the finish is gone (I use a heavy plastic/nylon scrapper) I soak a clean rag in a bowl of the stripper, and wipe all the finish clean off the piece. (Wear gloves) I use a 'remover wash' as a final rinse before doing any finish, it won't raise grain like water would. You'll have to take everything off the body to strip and paint, neck too if it's a bolt on. MapleGlo looks like a natural Maple under clear. The Reranch will have the good nitro to clear and ask if they know of any sealers or stains/oils used for the correct MapleGlo under the clear. Good luck, sounds like a rare and kool bass, once you get rid of the purple. If it has binding, be careful, I'm not sure if the stripper, although 'milder' than the heavy stuff, will eat it. Tape it off well and stay away from it with the stripper. You can easily sand off some finish left on the edge and binding.

I'm guessing it has binding...just tape it off and keep the stripper away from the tape. Use a 1-1/2" paint brush to apply the stripper. If you hit the tape, just have a rag handy to wipe it off and work on the body inside the tape. You NEVER want to remove binding, unless you want to spend a ton of money to rebind it.