Looking for a strat body and neck

Ok people here's the deal people

i have decided that for my first project i will make things a bit easier on myself. instead of making the body myself and buying a neck to fit onto it i have decided that i will just buy a strat body and neck and use them to make a project

main reason for doing this is so that i dont throw myself in at the deep end and can concentrate more on making a nice looking and sounding guitar.

so....

i need to find somewhere that i can buy a strat body and neck from that is neither too expensive and is preferablly in the UK

the first place im looking is ebay and i know that this is probablly the best place, but can anybody else give me some other places to look??

infact if anybody here has and old strat body and neck that they want to shift i am more than welcome to take it off their hands for a reasonable price.

many thanks

JG

Warmoth and Stewmac bodies are more than £100 not including shipping. im lloking to spend tops about £75 total for the body and the neck, hence why im going with the second hand stuff.

local paper might be a good idea actually

OK could people give me some opinions on whether they think this is worth it?

only thing im not so keen on is that is already recessed for the floyd and i wasnt planning on forking out too much cash on hardware :D

I got my neck for my Strat project from WilberryCastle on eBay.com (search under Seller name of 'wildberryskittles') - took just under 5 weeks to ship from America, but exchange rate is sooo good at the moment that it cost me 1/3rd of the price even with postage (Mighty Mite Birdseye Maple Rosewood fretboard - cost over here £200+, total cost including shipping £68 !). Exchange rate is now even better than when I ordered mine. Also got a Wilkinson trem for just over £30 new from same place - this was lighter and went through letter post, so took only 3 days!!!

I'm doing the same as you for my first project and it's going great so far. Top tip - never assume anything is 'standard', and never rush something - I now have to order a custom pickguard slightly wider than a standard strat one as I made a cockup modifying the pickup routing!!!

Best of luck.

When in London, i demanded that we go to Tin pan alley. It was awesome. guitar store after guitar store. if you ever get the chance to go to london, dont miss it at all cost! Anyways, a few of the guitar stores i went in were selling tons of bodys. It was awesome. They just had buckets full of lots of em taht you could dig through and choose from. they were all full wood and nice n smooth. They also had buckets full of necks, too - some with fretboards already on. Everything was surprisingly cheap too! Hope this helps!

Hellz yeah for Denmark Street. i went up there during Xmas and i didnt find a ocuple places selling bodies and necks tho the bodies i found were all poor quality wood (fiber board shiat etc) i may go have another look next time im up in london tho. im only a 45 min train journey away lol

Johnny, im doing the same!! I have already aquired a strat body (unfortunately it is ply-wood but i figure its a first project so im not too fussed). I notice that there quite a few necks on ebay (.co.uk not .com). There was a guy selling squire necks brand new (or near brand new in mint condition). Most of his auctions were 'buy it now' ranging £35-£45, handy if you dont wanna wage war with other bidders. Think he's got a couple on there now.

tbh i dont really wanna by squier stuff. i've done minor repairs on friends squiers (so many people i know have them lol) and they epitomise everything i could posablly dislike about guitars. admitadlly these are the real botom end ones so i may be wrong

ill have a look now tho

fair enough, i guess your point is exemplified by the fact that the body i have is plywood! Im definately seeing this as a practice project, right now, im sure i'd mess one up if i went the whole 9yards.

Are you after genuine fender stuff then - mex/usa? Cos that'll still be pricey even if 2nd hand, USA necks go for £70 easy on ebay and thats blown your body/nek buget on just a neck.

original fender stuff would be nice but like you said its expensive. im really just looking for decentish copies

ive had a look on ebay and ive found quite a nice neck for only £35 its not strat style but from what it seems, its a fender neck and it has a skunk stripe down the back. im tempted to nab it now lol