violin building.

Snork

I've built most of one, meaning I never finished it. I got the top carved inside and out, though fairly rough, the back is Maple and is just too hard to carve with my homemade tumbplanes. The neck is quite cool, I put a dragon head on the end instead of the scroll. Maybe I'll post pics.

i show link page.. wow.. it real great..

^^

Lex's Violin is Wonderfull... ^^

i allway thank for Lex's pic..

in lex's avata what strike your avata? i allway wonder it ^^

bye..

They are the most beautiful instruments ever, it's my dream to build one....

HOT DAMN, that is niiiiiice Lex!

A bit of history (or so i think) There are these violins called Stratavarius (sp?) there are like 4 of them on earth left, and to most, they are the greatest violins evermade, and NO ONE can match them. Notice STRATavarius and STRATocaster. I pulled this conclusion myself, so don't take it as word of full truth, but cool coincidence at least, or mybe Leo Fender was going for an instrument no one can match? Anyone have any more info on this?

EDIT: Ok, I'm wrong. I have spoke with one of my buddies over AIM and he informed me i'm incorrect. It's Stradivarius, and there a few left, more than four he says. Sorry about that. I do love Violins though. But maybe Leo Fender couldn't spell (like me :D ) and he heard of the the Stradivarius by word of mouth, and wrote it down on a piece of paper, and... I feel dumb... Maybe just a cool coincidence? (not completely close coincidence, but close enough?)

EDIT: I've been reading up on it, and there are about 600 left...

Thanks for the comments about my violin, I wasn't expecting any.

I bought a violin from a flea market a little while back, a German made Strad copy, and researched up on violins to find out more info on it.

Stradivarius violins were made by Antonio Stradivari in, I believe the mid to late 1600's and into the early 1700's. His labels read Antonius Stradivarius, along with the location and date, all of which is written in latin because he spoke latin at the time, when I believe not many other people did. Anyway, his violins are ragarded as being the PERFECT musical instruments. Some people say the varnish has alot to do with it, but since the varnish on a 300 year old instrument would have worn off and been refinished at least once in it's life, that's most likely not it. Alot of people think it's the construction methods and woods, in particular, I've heard Antonio soaked his woods in water for a period of time, which allowed the water to fill into all the pores in the wood, and replace any sap with water, so when the wood was removed and dried, where there was once sap, is now empty, supposedly making the wood lighter and more reasonant.

I think it'd be cool to own a Strad, but there are lots of fakes out there.