a wooden nut

Well i'm gonna ask the question, and try. The more i think about it, the more i think, if you want more tone from the wood, why not a nut made of wood? And a nice, heavy kind, like walnut or something. Anyone try this? Anyone have some behind the scenes info?

And for the experiment: I just converted an old 70's 3/4 size acoustic to fretless, and i shined up all the pieces, and refinished the whole neck, headstock, and put a few coats of poly on the body to get some lost shine back. But, i lost the nut. :D Lucky me, it's a zero fretter (i love zero frets [oh, and think about how low the string action 'll be]), so doing a little experimentation aint bad. So, i've decided to make a nut out of some pine (it's all i have around). So i guess i'll se if it wears down over time and etc.

But i mean, poly should be able to protect the wood, right?

Sorry, i searched for it, but I couldn't find it. I know wasteful posts have become an issue lately, and I tried not to ask a question not before asked. I see where your coming from, too muddy on the tone? Well, i'll try it, and any other info thats there will be appreciated.

Also: alot of violins have wooden bridges... for what it's worth...

good point about the wooden violin bridge...i have never heard a wooden nut...i just remember that the consensus from the experienced guys was that it wouldn't be acceptable

keep in mind too that sustain is not an issue with a violin...and i think a "woody" tone is more desireable with the violin...but really,if you tried it on a not so great guitar...then you would know for sure,and all you would lose is the time it took to make it

Violins also have a wooden nut (in addition to the bridge.) If you just play static chord/scales, it might be ok... but if you bend the strings (which you're more opt to do on a guitar vs. a violin) I think it will cause the strings to rub across the nut wearing it out eventually (well, quicker than other materials anyway :D.)

I helped teach classes in the woodshop of my local university, helping the students build trave-sized acoustic guitars. The emphasis was on simple, low-cost instruments. We used hard maple for both saddle and nuts, although students could upgrade to other materials if they wanted to. Most were getting their first experience at guitar building and were not looking to create the ultimate tone machine. And the small travel body was limiting for sound also. With all that in mind, I think that they worked reasonably well. Not as good as bone, but decent and something the students could botch their slots and start on a new one at no cost. I would only use very hard woods such as rock maple, ebony, rosewood or wenge.