Parts Box Billy Bo

I'm not sure how, but I'd completely missed this thread.  Just read every word and pored over every picture.  I just LOVE this build.   It makes my African Fretless look positively conventional. :)

Fantastic job with huge demonstration of skills all over the place!

I still think that Goran is crazy in the best way possible. :)

That particular piece of wood might be problematic in the long term and a few things could have been done more successfully, however I don't think that is a factor in this build for Goran. From a technical standpoint, that wood is a bad starting point. Thing is, that seems to be where Goran is in his element....unlike unskilled and overenthusiastic builders who go against accepted wisdom out of bullishness and an inability to listen and develop, Goran has an internal muse which will drive him to continue improving and trying out tough ideas.

In fact, the only two things I would say are bad about this build are the PVA glue in the cracks (tinted epoxy injection would be perfect!) and the neck. I'd love to see a neck made to match that piece of wood in the body. That can always still be done! :thumb:

Thanks a lot, I'm really glad you like it!!! I was wondering at some points if I was overdoing it, perhaps a more "normal" guitar should have been made. I'll focus on the SG now, to finally make a normal guitar :)

I readily agree that PVA is not the way to go here, but I was trying to have fun, and this was on my desk, cheap and ready to go. I might make a proper Billy Bo 3+3 neck for it at some point and repurpose this neck on something fender-ish. Right now I'm daydreaming of a full-cherry strat-tele with a large inlay in place of the pickguard. I've sort of started it already:

22083807003_fa3507fcf3_b.jpgIMG_20151101_210346-001 by Goran P, on Flickr

I have in the meanwhile cut the lower horn as drawn.

Using these "problematic" pieces of wood is kind of liberating and I think I learn a lot every time, as I have to compensate for the natural faults in the material. As I said before, I am doing some repairs from time to time for the local guitar shop, and projects such as this one help me as practice for more dedicated jobs.

Thanks again for really nice comments, I'll print and hang some of them over my workspace :)

• Like 1

In my opinion, it's more about understanding when a piece will fight against you. I use a lot of wood which has minor faults and turn them into features. Some faults are fundamental however, and I think that the body on this one was a bit touch and go, man. Syringing epoxy in might have been a good idea rather than PVA.