2.5itim's 2nd build

Haha yeah I had to take a slight break for a while but hopefully can get back into my old groove easily. It has been interesting carving the circles on the figured maple, I've learned to take it in sections going in a different direction in each section seems like the only option otherwise it wants to start to split. 

Haha yeah, I had to do a bunch of work on the engine in the truck to get it in good running order and decided to go crazy on building the engine up in preparations for getting it ready for the strip next spring. The Subaru has been down for 4 years and I've gotta get that thing running again because I'm tired of seeing it just sit in the garage lol. 

The strong winds are finally over!! We ended up getting the whole roof replaced and fixed a few water damaged spots on the house from the winds taking off a lot of the roof and I got the privacy fence rebuilt, so hopefully no more weather surprises for the next year or so.

i was able to finish up the control carves tonight and decided to wipe it down with some minimal spirits and throw a little bit of it together for a pic  I can't wait to see a finish on this thing  

IMG_1803.JPG

• Like 2

Slow night tonight but I got the fretwire radiused, hammered in and glued up. Tomorrow after the glue is good and dry I'll trim them and dress the ends and hopefully get the neck glued into the body. The plan is to have the dye on the guitar this weekend so I'll get it all finish sanded and get my dyes mixed up. 

I'm having a tough time figuring out what I want to do with the back of the body and neck as far as color, my buddy just said he wants it dark brown but my brown dye look more like shit brown than dark brown so I'm gonna play around with mixing brown, black and red at different consistencies to see if I can come up with something I like. 

IMG_1810.JPG

Today I was able to get the frets trimmed and beveled, neck glued up in the body and started dying. 

The dye has really got my mind spinning,  I mixed up a brown/black/red mix for the back of the body and neck. I used it on a test piece (off cut of the body) and I liked the color,  it was a darkish brown with no hint of purple at all. I applied it to the body and boom purple, I did 4 coats of it to try and get it to darken up which didn't work. I then mixed up a brown with a little blue to darken the brown and applied 2 coats of it hoping that would darken it up, which it did but now I get 2 different colors from sunlight to shade, in the sunlight it's very purple and in the shade it's a dark brown.

I also can't get consistent coverage of the dye on the back of the body, I have streaks that aren't getting as dark as the rest of the body. I sent all these pictures to my buddy who I'm building this guitar for and he loved the colors and streaks (he loves rustic so I guess it works) so I guess I'm going to keep pushing forward. Not what I originally planned but as long as he likes it. 

IMG_1814.JPG

IMG_1846.JPG

IMG_1847.JPG

• Like 1

Today has possibly been the most fulfilling feeling day I've had in my guitar building "career". 

I dyed the top brown, sanded it back, saw that I did a terrible job at getting all the sanding marks out, dyed it brown again, sanded it back again, and then finally put on three coats of my dye mixture. 

I am totally in love with this guitar at the moment and it's getting harder and harder knowing that I'm going to have to let it go soon. 

IMG_0013.JPG

IMG_0019.JPG

IMG_0020.JPG

IMG_0021.JPG

IMG_0038.JPG

IMG_0039.JPG

• Like 2

Today has possibly been the most fulfilling feeling day I've had in my guitar building "career". 

I dyed the top brown, sanded it back, saw that I did a terrible job at getting all the sanding marks out, dyed it brown again, sanded it back again, and then finally put on three coats of my dye mixture. 

I am totally in love with this guitar at the moment and it's getting harder and harder knowing that I'm going to have to let it go soon. 

IMG_0013.JPG

IMG_0019.JPG

IMG_0020.JPG

IMG_0021.JPG

IMG_0038.JPG

IMG_0039.JPG