Entirely new to this site, wondered if anyone could help me. I've been playing daily for about 5 years (since age 15), never really messed with any of the hardware on any of the guitars I've owned, and I don't have much other than basic knowledge of anything more than playing. 

So, my brothers buddy brought this guitar to me. It appears to me to have been custom made by whoever owned it (owner went to prison I guess, house got sold and guitar given away to neighbor). There is a decent gap between the neck and the neck pocket, more at the top than the bottom. It does not tune properly, for example I can tune it at the fifth fret and a power chord will sound awful. I can tune each string with the next to an open chord with one finger, and to strum a full open chord sounds awful, completely off. The high e string slips off of the nut, no matter what i do it wont stay. Also, I have no clue how to tell what the pickups are. The thing was filthy and the case was desintegrating, its obviously been sitting around for quite a while. I just want to know if making it tune correctly and fixing the but are simple enough to perform, and how much its worth. I'm sure somebody can help me!

IMG_20160524_132121.jpg

IMG_20160524_132105.jpg

IMG_20160524_131959.jpg

1464112184780913815719.jpg

I have no idea what that is worth, but assuming the neck is the correct scale getting a proper set-up will probably make it playable. I'm not sure why it has a metal plate under the neck, some need felt for shimming perhaps, but that can be addressed during the set-up. I'm guessing your high E string jumping about is due to a missing string tree, an absolute requirement for that type of headstock.

SR

There is a string tree. I'm not sure why but not all of the pictures I uploaded ended up here... Ill put the others in this comment. Any idea about the pickups or do I have to just take them out? Also, when you say metal plate I'm not sure what you refer to, are you just talking about the plate that the screws go through? Because, I mean, that's a pretty standard component of a bolt on neck. 

1464116695931-1830485091.jpg

14641167995043028842.jpg

1464116817179-452923145.jpg

The metal plate on the back is common on bolt on necks....I'm referring to what looks like a metal plate between the neck heel and the bottom of the neck pocket. Using shims in the pocket to adjust the neck angle is not that uncommon, but that looks like a baseplate has been used to raise the fretboard.....Hard to say. 

Moving the string closer to the nut would increase the downward angle of the high E and B strings. Or your nut may be junk and needs replacing as you say.

How is the action?

As far as the pickups go, you may or may not learn what they are by taking them out. They may well be custom wound. The pickups I use most often come in a box that tells what they are but there's nothing on the pickups themselves.

Sr

I think that's just the camera. Looks like a big old air gap between the neck & pocket to me. Neck also looks horribly out of alignment with the body. Without looking at it up close, I'd be willing to bet a good setup would make it playable. A Guitar Center jockey could probably get you in the ballpark. If you're not up to paying for a setup, Dan Erlewine's guitar repair book is great for stuff like this if you're willing to sit down & learn, & that guitar is a perfect learning tool.

I restrung it and noticed that the high e string was on the top of the string tree, rather than the bottom... That did the trick. And no there's no metal between the neck and the pocket, its just space. It tunes up better with new strings but won't stay in tune at all, when I start tuning by the time I get two strings down the first one is already a full turn low, and the intonation is off. I'm guessing its because of the neck. Its a great sounding guitar, a very nice change from my other one, and I agree, a great learning tool. I'll use it as an opportunity to further my knowledge. Thanks people!

Gap under the neck:

• Are the neck screws tight? Give them a few turns with a Phillips head screwdriver to try and close the gap. If they feel really stiff don't go any further - the last thing you want to do is round over the screw heads or shear off the tops.

Tuning issues:

• Could be associated with the loose neck screws (above), but otherwise:
  • Check the bridge. There may not be enough spring tension to counteract the pull of the strings as they are tuned up. Eventually they'll reach an equilibrium as the string tension matches the spring tension, but it can take a lot of fiddling with one to counteract the other. Take the cover off the back and check how many springs are fitted. Also check how much adjustment is left on the spring claw (may be possible to screw it tighter to increase the spring tension to pull the bridge closer to the body)
  • Check the amount of curvature on the neck as the strings are tuned up. If the neck is curving a lot as string tension increases the truss rod may need adjusting (assuming it's working OK)
  • Check the strings are secured properly at the tuning heads, Enough turns around each post? Slipping strings at the tuners are usually easy to hear as they'll typically tune up most the way and then all of a sudden release a little as you're turning the tuner.

Pickups:

• Can't do much unless you take them out of the body. If you're lucky they may have a makers stamp or sticker on them. Otherwise they could be made by anyone.

I've restrung a thousand times, its not that there aren't enough wraps or that the string is slipping at the tuning peg. The screws are tight on the neck, but I can't see a shim anywhere in the gap, its just air. Maybe I can unscrew them and then tighten them again. The neck looks slightly bowed, I assume from all the time it obviously sat around in its case (fully strung). As for the bridge, there are three springs in the back. Btw, plinky, it so happens that I live over an hour away from the nearest metropolitan area (Sault Ste. Marie, MI), and I don't have a car so... Yeah, it's... Inconvenient. 

I couldn't think of any reason there would be a gap there other than the screws not being tight, there's something in the pocket keeping it from going all the way down or the screws are to long and bottomed out. The last one is probably unlikely since with a little force you would be able to send those wood screws straight thru the fretboard (disclaimer: don't do this). 

When you unstrung it is the neck wobbly/unstable? If I was you I would have that neck off and see if there's anything in the pocket keeping it from going down any farther. 

Regarding the neck, it is possible that the holes in the neck pocket aren't big enough, hence as you screw in the screws catch on the body and push the neck apart. The screws should be free of contact when it goes through the body. I had this problem before. Just enlarge the neck pocket holes and you should be good to go.