resin/wood composite body

HG_Cogswell

hello,

i'm new to the community and this is my first post.  i've been scouring the forum and the internet for information on the subject line.  i am very curious as to whether or not an epoxy resin/wood blank would be suitable to use for a guitar body or neck for that matter. i have not found anything on the subject.  i have seen many wood workers use it to make their projects and the finished project looks beautiful, but i am concerned as to how it may effect tonality of the guitar itself.  input is greatly appreciated.

thanks,

I don't know enough about the material to comment on whether it would be suitable for a neck, but an amazing amount of materials have been used for bodies. Enough that I feel confident that this would work as well. And it will most assuredly sound like a guitar. It will indeed influence the tone, as all body materials do....but not as much as you would suspect. The vast majority of an electric guitar's tone and sound comes from the signal chain.

As far as predicting how it will influence the tone....sorry. It needs to be done to find out.

SR

Acrylic bodies have been used for decades. BC Rich did it, Dan Armstrong did it, etc. The latter seeems to be good enough for Dave Grohl to use and many collectors to flock to... so it's probably fine lol.

There's a company around lately that's been taking burl slabs and filling out the extra area needed with resin. They're pretty cool but for that life of my I can't remember their name. Either way, yes, resin and/or resin/wood hybrids are totally fine for use in guitars. I'd personally just caution about how MUCH of the guitar is made from that for one simple reason: resin will be heavier than most woods used for guitar bodies.

My $0.02,
Chris

2 hours ago, verhoevenc said:

Acrylic bodies have been used for decades. BC Rich did it, Dan Armstrong did it, etc. The latter seeems to be good enough for Dave Grohl to use and many collectors to flock to... so it's probably fine lol.

There's a company around lately that's been taking burl slabs and filling out the extra area needed with resin. They're pretty cool but for that life of my I can't remember their name. Either way, yes, resin and/or resin/wood hybrids are totally fine for use in guitars. I'd personally just caution about how MUCH of the guitar is made from that for one simple reason: resin will be heavier than most woods used for guitar bodies.

My $0.02,
Chris

Are you thinking of Stone Wolf Guitars in the UK?