truss rod shortening

well i bought a neck off litch, a maple bass neck. I bought it to use the back on a big guitar at the end of the year, since it was only 20 bucks. Well, I want a new guitar NOW, so i've decided to build a cheap guitar, NOW. (in the next month or so) I don't want to go through a lot details, but I'm gonna cut the bass fretboard down to size, and build a back out of cheap maple. Truss rods are expensive (sorta) so i was wondering, could i cut out like 6 or so inches out of teh middle of the truss rod, and then re-weld the two back together? Or is there a correct way to do it, that's supposed to work? It's an ibanez neck, probably a pretty basic truss rod..

I needed a truss rod for a mandolin I built, so I ripped apart the neck of my old Samick, and cut the truss rod in half and then went to my old highschool and had the metal shop teacher reweld it for me. I made the neck of the mandolin a bit thicker plus gave it an Ebony fingerboard, and the rigidity of the rod itself made the neck quite strong, so I didn't even need to use the rod the set the relief, so I never actually fully used the truss rod, but it most likely works fine.