Momentary Button???

Sethmetal

HELPPPPPPP!!!!

I have been driving myself crazy! I want to do those gibson toggle switch "Cut-outs"(You know where you turn the volume off one pickup and jack the toggle around). I want to achieve this effect on my Ibanez where I already plan to use a blade switch. I have had my hands on the solution. It rests in the Scott Ian signature Jackson. He has a button that illuminates (I oculd care less of this feature), but also cuts the signal when depressed, and it is springloaded. Essentially it is just a springloaded momentary SPDT switch. The ones at Radioshack would work, but are way too tiny and, well...........IT"S A DAMN RADIOSHACK PART.

I've called Jackson custom shop and they won't answer me. I've call ALLPARTS, Switchcraft, StewartMacdonald, I even wrote Scott Ian. No one has the answer to where I can get one. Someone please help.

If you look in the gallery at the tele that I built (ben muchler's custom) you'll notice that I included a momentary switch. Jonny Greenwood inspired. I purchased a few different ones at Radio Shack and finally found one that would take the abuse.

Please note that when you wire this into the guitar, you're wiring it so that it is OUT of the regular signal loop, but depressing it brings it in and shorts the signal to ground. You'll probably want to install a small resistor as well to prevent any potential signal "backwash" from damaging your other electronics (caps).

Hope this helps.

Ben.

Have you tried mouser.com? They have tons of electronic components. DigiKey also. As for the "backwash", I'm not sure what you mean? For circuits that have inductive loads, a diode is used to protect coils, ... but for something like a guitar output, I don't know what issue you'd have? Do you have any more info on this?

Sweet Thanks for all the help. I am also a bit confused on the resistor comment. What value is recommended and again where in the circuit. I didn't think of the signal going to ground when depressed. I assumed that it would be an open circuit. Basically just breaking the connection when depressed. Would there be less cliking or popping if I ran it to ground???? Thanks So much -Seth :D

I didn't think of the signal going to ground when depressed. I assumed that it would be an open circuit. Basically just breaking the connection when depressed. Would there be less cliking or popping if I ran it to ground???? Thanks So much -Seth :D

Simply put, opening the connection would be like having a cable connected to the amp and nothing at the other end, so it would pick up noise and spurious signals. Shorting the output to ground would be more like setting your volume to zero (though not exactly).

you could actually make a plug in switch that you wouldn't have to actulaly mod the guitar. i had microphonic pickups long before i knew how to deal with them so i built this little device around a momentary spst switch push button. and a patch cord and a jack that i caniblaized.

i can post a pic if anyone is interested. well its a drawing actually.

http://www.geocities.com/austenfantanio/st...utterswitch.htm

its called the stutter switch

Edited by ansil

You don't want to just "open" the circuit...always think of the signal as a circle...it has to go somewhere. Given that you are going to insert the switch (sorry, don't have the part number) between the volume pot and the jack, just wire a small resistor (.001mf) as part of that wire.

I don't know how to post a pic, so I'll describe the Install (it's easy)

1.) From the volume pot, run the hot to the Jack (this is the wire with a resistor as part of it).

2.) Run a wire from the same lug on the jack to the momentary switch.

3.) From the other lug on the Momentary Switch, run a wire to the ground on the jack.

Each lug on the jack should have 2 wires connected to it when you are finished.

remember, it's best to get a bunch of aligator clip wires and experment with it before you heat up the gun.

Hope that helps.

true you don't have to open it but it does the same thing

You don't want to just "open" the circuit...always think of the signal as a circle...it has to go somewhere.  Given that you are going to insert the switch (sorry, don't have the part number) between the volume pot and the jack, just wire a small resistor (.001mf) as part of that wire.

Morben's got the right idea. Grounding the circuit is like turning down the volume, but opening the circuit makes it a potential antenna, especially at high gain.

You don't want to just "open" the circuit...always think of the signal as a circle...it has to go somewhere.  Given that you are going to insert the switch (sorry, don't have the part number) between the volume pot and the jack, just wire a small resistor (.001mf) as part of that wire.

Morben's got the right idea. Grounding the circuit is like turning down the volume, but opening the circuit makes it a potential antenna, especially at high gain.

Why didn't I think of that? :D

Why didn't I think of that? :D

B) Oooops.... looks like you did! Sorry, I was too busy looking at this:

true you don't have to open it but it does the same thing
:D

I should pay closer attention.

• 1 month later...

smallbearelec.com ahs good switches