lexicon studio

westhemann

is that kinda like protools?

:D

No Aaron....Pro Tools is used in pro studio's and by a select few home studio's. It's far from an USB interface

Wes, it's pretty much a low latency soundcard with build in mini mixer. If your computer is up to specs, I wouldn'r worry too much about the USB connection. Nowadays USB audio interfaces are pretty good.

However, they're still way behind PCI cards

I was talkin about this thing, thats what the guy at long and mcquade called protools when I went in...Isn't it kinda similar? It is a USB interface afterall...

It has Pro Tools LE..... the FREE version of pro tools...

Pro Tools is not just software...

With all repect, but this stuff has nothing to do with Pro Tools.

Wes,

This is rather complicated stuff.. do some research before you buy.. goto to a music store specialiased in audio recorded and get some advice

Dont bother with it mate.

Its not a stand alone recorder, its just an interface to get the external audio into your computer via USB. Pro tools Free sux too. Go with Emagic Logic Audio Or something from Steinberg and a PCI audiocard. I use Logic and a ST AUDIO DSP24 MKII card. No problems, 5 ms latency, 4 inputs, 4 outputs and a great sound. Team this up with a Behringer VAMP or POD and you got a fantastic setup.

Also if you use Logic or Cubase you can use VST instruments (virtual instruments) for the remainder of you track. You could buy my audio card and software for less money than the Lexicon with better results.

Wes you helped me quite some time with guitar question, so I hope I can be of help here. I do quite some harddisc recording and have done so for some time and I work as a programmer at an IT company, so I think I could help you with most of your questions. Several thinks to keep in mind:

1. I have Cakewalk, Cubase and Logic Audio, and I have to say that for me Logic Audio is bar far the best program of the three. Cubase was and still is somewhat the standard for PC recording, but I think it is no longer able to compete with Logic, especially concerning the features and ease of use. None of the three softwares is really bad so you shouldn't think about that too much. Cakewalk offers the less possibilities of the three, but it can do plenty enough for usual homerecording tasks.

2. I never worked with the Lexicon unit you mentioned, but all Lexicon effects I have heard/tried so far are really top notch concerning sound and quality, so I suspect this unit should be good as well, although I am no big fan of USB recording as well.

3. The most effective way to get good results is in my opinion to get Logic Audio and a PCI harddisc recording card which has enough input channels for your requirements. Logic Audio features so many good effects that you don't need a external effects unit, as long as you do standard stuff. One VERY important thing though: Many PCI recording cards do NOT have mic preamps built in, so you can only record line signals with them. That means you have to have a mixing desk with mic preamps or an external mic preamp if you want to record over mics. There are some cards which have an external box for all inputs featuring mic preamps for every channel. These preamps are not the best quality money can buy, but I think they can easily compete with the usual standard mic preamps. There a two not too expensive Terratec cards out there which can do everything I mentioned above. Look here for a card which is discontinued but still very good and especially cheap due to the fact that it is no longer manufactured. The more expensive and new version of the card can be found here.

HTH,

Marcel Knapp!