Headless Bridge

as tempting as it may be... not sure I'd snag any hardware from aliexpress or china in general... their precision machining is well... not. 

also their descriptions tend to be anything that will sell.  This does not look like any sort of headless design to me at all... unless you ran the strings out the back and to some tuners, but they clearly have insets for string balls.  makes me think they just thought 'headless ought to sell it'.

I have seen other actual headless bridges from china that appear to be based on the k&m design... and have thought about it... but again... my experience with chinese hardware is that it is problematic.  esp under high tension.  just one a-holes o so ymmv.

• Like 1

I can't see how that would be headless. Just by looking at the six holes in the bottom it seems to be for a string-through.

As @mistermikev said the Chinese descriptions tend to be just a queue of key words in English without the vendor even knowing what they mean.

I've been somewhat lucky with Aliexpress, but I must admit their threads may not perfectly match with the screws.

• Like 1

Yes I was scratching my head trying to figure the thing out. I did get a Chinese bridge recently on Ebay which seems to be OK, although it was too wide for my neck so had to do some modifying. To be honest my experience is that most of the bridges I have found have been Chinese... It seems that the ones that aren't are prohibitively expensive, the Hipshots being an example. There doesn't seem to be a huge amount of options out there. 

Edited by ShatnersBassoon

32 minutes ago, ShatnersBassoon said:

Yes I was scratching my head trying to figure the thing out. I did get a Chinese bridge recently on Ebay which seems to be OK, although it was too wide for my neck so had to do some modifying. To be honest my experience is that most of the bridges I have found have been Chinese... It seems that the ones that aren't are prohibitively expensive, the Hipshots being an example. There doesn't seem to be a huge amount of options out there. 

if I'm not mistaken gotoh is all japanese and is quite reasonable.  some of the chinese stuff is good, some not.  it just depends... I don't think it's "all bad" or anything.  I believe the wilkinson stuff is all chinese and some of that is pretty good... just on aliexpress you will find a lot of things that say wilkinson but are probably neither wilkinson nor good.  ymmv. 

• Like 1

For what I've understood the Chinese workers get partially paid by selling through the back door. The cheapest ones most likely are items that haven't passed the quality control of a big brand. After all, most reasonable quality stuff seems to be made in China nowadays. It's somewhat scary to think where they make the cheap luxury items for the Chinese lower middle class...

• Like 1