32" Bass string length

I have one answer to this question, but would like a few more if possible before I go ahead and install the single saddles on a Bass build.

The scale lenght is 32", I would like to know the actual strring length from nut to the saddle break point on an intonated Bass. In mm or imperial 

thanks

It depends on the strings. As you know, there's thicker and thinner strings for the same tuning. They may have round or hexa-/octagonal cores. The metal may be stiffer or slinkier. All this affects the intonation.

For guitars there's a rule of thumb for making the scale 1 mm shorter on the treble side and 3 mm longer on the bass side. With the saddles centered that should give a decent intonation and allow for fine tuning by moving the individual saddles. Threre must be something similar for basses.

There's tricks for finding the right intonation point with your strings. If you have a trapeze of sorts and a makeshift bridge of exactly the same height as the real one you can tune the bass to the right pitch and slide the bridge to find where the intonation is right for the outermost strings. A piece of T profile aluminium might be ideal for such sliding bridge as it won't easily tilt. The trapeze can be done out of a hinge or something similar, just make sure it doesn't dig into the edge of the end of the body. Pieces of felt or leather will help there.

@Bizman62 Thanks for the reply I have built a cople of 34" one with a fixed bridge and the other with individual, I like the look of angled individual saddles, so rather than the saddle adjustment take up the difference angling the bridge/saddle will take up a little.

I am just looking for an easy way to get in the ball park.

11 hours ago, jaycee said:

I am just looking for an easy way to get in the ball park.

All you need is a long enough accurate ruler with short enough increments. Basically you could just measure the scale length, in your case 32" from the nut. However, for double checking, measure from the edge of the nut to the center of the 12th fret and double that as sometimes the nominal scale length is different to the actual length. Measure! And double check!

Doubling the distance from the nut to the 12th fret will tell the approximate location of the thinnest string, the rest having to be a little farther. This Fender guide is as good as any for getting in the ball park: https://support.fender.com/hc/en-us/articles/214343843-How-do-I-set-up-my-bass-guitar-properly- For finding the right line and angle it would suffice to sum the previous string gauges to find the location of the last and draw a line between the first and the last.

As you said the individual saddles set in an angle look nice. The above is the easiest way to get the angle right with minimal adjusting needed. For even better accuracy the only way is to use a sliding bridge and a way to attach the strings behind the bridge for finding the most accurate line for the bridge pieces. Changing to different strings would ruin the effort, even a different brand of the same gauges, so measuring is accurate enough.

@Bizman62 Thanks for the link the intonation paragraph is interesting.

What I failed to mention and is another reason for wanting the measurement, I intend to route out a small section under the saddles and place in there a copper strip 2mm thick. Then glue on the top. When I then attach the saddles the screws will go through the copper strip which will be grounded .

the trick with bass strings is they have wrapping that needs to be beyond the nut.  Sometimes the string even gets thinner right there and/or at the bridge.  I've got a 32" scale p bass and certains string brands have to be avoided as the wrap ends up too long, and is right at the nut.  Just thought I'd mention because it is not something I considered when building a short scale.  They do make short scale strings... fyi.

afa grounding... idk if that's going to work great as threads may not make great contact.  esp if you screw them in more than 1 time.  I spose you could always drip some conductive paint down in there if that happens.  that said... can't help but wonder what ya got against the ole 'drill at an angle to meet the control cavity and use a wire' method?

Anywho, I could measure on my shortscale if you like but generally 32 1/8" on the low e and 29 15/16" on the high e.