preval not working for me

so... got my preval tonight was planning on doing some cherry burst.  using watco gloss lacquer.  I mixed up about an ounce of thinner with some aniline... swished it around a lot... then added about 5oz of lacquer.  damn thing will not spray anything unless I'm sitting there shaking it... and then lacquer is coming out the little v hole.  so I thought perhaps it's still to thick and I prgressively added thinner until it was really thin... figured perhaps watco requires no thinner?  so I started over with about an oz of original mix and mixed in 5oz of lacquer.  still no love.

tried a different nozzle, tried a different filter tube. 

any guess as to what I'm doing wrong?

5 hours ago, ADFinlayson said:

I saw bens video on these a while back, it put me off tbh

i saw that video too... but what he's doing there is spraying dye with no lacquer...  if I'm not mistaken.  yeah, his results aren't great as it keeps running.  I would think it would be a lot dif to spray actual lacquer. 

anywho, do you have something you use to shoot something you mixed?

I have an airbrush too... and that might be what I try next... but based on my experience the issue was likley that I used keda dye powder instead of liquid.  the powder not dissolving fully was clogging the device.

3 hours ago, mistermikev said:

i saw that video too... but what he's doing there is spraying dye with no lacquer...  if I'm not mistaken.  yeah, his results aren't great as it keeps running.  I would think it would be a lot dif to spray actual lacquer. 

anywho, do you have something you use to shoot something you mixed?

I have an airbrush too... and that might be what I try next... but based on my experience the issue was likley that I used keda dye powder instead of liquid.  the powder not dissolving fully was clogging the device.

I've watched Freddy's frets les paul series about 3 times, remember him saying that with his colour/burst, he wants as much colour going on ass possible without the build because it's important not to sand the colour coat, so I would imagine the mix is a lot more dye and thinners than dye and lacquer.

I've got a Earlex pro 8 which I use to spray clear lacquer mixed with thinners - I have run into problems when I've had too much lacquer and not enough thinners, the stuff I use says not not to thin more than 20% but I get best results if I thin 30-40%, I haven't tried spraying burst yet but I certainly wouldn't use my current gun for that, it's too big and bulky for that level of control. I'm planning to upgrade to something smaller and gravity fed for clear and have been looking into airbrushes for bursting.

Power dyes sounds like it could well be the culprit. have you seen any of the Dr Nitro videos on youtube? that guy knows a thing or two about colouring lacquer 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ADFinlayson said:

I've watched Freddy's frets les paul series about 3 times, remember him saying that with his colour/burst, he wants as much colour going on ass possible without the build because it's important not to sand the colour coat, so I would imagine the mix is a lot more dye and thinners than dye and lacquer.

I've got a Earlex pro 8 which I use to spray clear lacquer mixed with thinners - I have run into problems when I've had too much lacquer and not enough thinners, the stuff I use says not not to thin more than 20% but I get best results if I thin 30-40%, I haven't tried spraying burst yet but I certainly wouldn't use my current gun for that, it's too big and bulky for that level of control. I'm planning to upgrade to something smaller and gravity fed for clear and have been looking into airbrushes for bursting.

Power dyes sounds like it could well be the culprit. have you seen any of the Dr Nitro videos on youtube? that guy knows a thing or two about colouring lacquer 

right on.  have not see those vids but will watch tonight.  I was reading some posts at tdpri where a guy mixes dye powder with denatured alcohol first, lets it sit, then mixes it with thinner, then combines with lacquer.  In my mix I easily went as thin as a 50/50 mix between lacquer and thinner and still trouble.  perhaps I could go even thinner but I suspect that's not the only problem.  it's wierd, if I hold the can upside down it sprays fine indicating the tube and tip are fine... but put the tube back in the lacquer/dye and it won't spray. 

I too have  considered an airbrush.  bought a cheap harbor freight one that I haven't even used because I was debating if I should just buy an airbrush compressor.  I see a few on evilbay and craigslist for $40ish so was thinking that'd be the max I'd spend before considering spending a lot more than that to get a decent used compressor and real spray gun.  I like the idea of the finer mist from an airbrush.  should be good for a lot of dif things. 

anywho, I def appreciate the replies and will check these vids out tonight.

tbh mate I think you hit the nail on the head with the powder not dissolving properly, it doesn't take much to clog the nozzle up, I had the same problem when I was spraying the bass I'm working on last week, hadn't cleaned it as well as I thought and it was spitting occasionally and sometimes not spraying at all.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ADFinlayson said:

tbh mate I think you hit the nail on the head with the powder not dissolving properly, it doesn't take much to clog the nozzle up, I had the same problem when I was spraying the bass I'm working on last week, hadn't cleaned it as well as I thought and it was spitting occasionally and sometimes not spraying at all.

well... I'm learnin!

today was reading about how to take a compressor and use it for an airbrush.  by that I mean a shop compressor.  it's something I've been thinking about getting anyway... but have held off because in order to run an air sander or a full spray gun... I'm told you need at least a 15 gal.  slowly inching it's way up the list.  would love to be able to blow things off/out from time to time too!

Def have to keep track of what bottle is what as he goes!

one take away for me is filtering the dye.  I was going to try this with a t-shirt before I saw this video and seeing him do it kind of give me confidence that it will work.  he does use a few powdered dies in there and mixes them with alcohol but doesn't filter them. 

def a lot of vids from him!  some stellar finishes too.  appreciate the share.