New TUtorial

ansil

should ido this as a tutorial  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

i was thinking about makign an onboard guitar sampler. i have been an only guitar player for years and i like to make different sounds and such.. over the years i have used alot of delays to sample sounds and play back over them

radioshack has a nifty little sampler already prebuilt. designed for voice. but if you change the capacitor there to a film one you can make it function for guitar freq.

the first time i did this i put two in a guitar and would record some harmony stuff with it.

the second time i did it i put two in a pedal with four seperate switches. record a and record b and play a play b.

it can be done on board or in a box what do you think????

ps brian i got the push pull emg style booster coming.

since its pretty evenly divided what info does everyone need on there. since 40% need more info

basically its a little kit with a speaker that dubs a microphone

it has atransistor buffer. and is about an inch long and a half inch wide. runs off a nine volt.

cost 10$ at radioshack.

can easily be mounted ina guitar.

has 0-20 seconds of storing in 128k ram

I find it interesting, even though I can't play plugged in now, because my amp is loaned out and I'm in no hurry to get it back.

Sounds like something I saw Les Paul using about 15 years ago. He would play something, then this "little black box", as he called it, would keep playing that part, while he would play something else, which would also keep playing , while he then played yet something else. I think his "little black box" was on the guitar somewhere.

The sustainer thing of yours is the most interesting to me at the moment, but I know for sure others will want a tutorial on this, if you got the fire in you to do it.

Thanks,

Rob

guess i need to get to work and send it out. then :D

i think id like to see a tutorial on this. partlly so that i could find a bit more out about using memory chips in circuit boards.

Would it be possible to get more memory for longer samples?

Devon

you can cascade two of them together. but that requires you to switch it precisely. or build complex switching systems with a pic. this is a basic lowfi mod.. i say lowfi cause it was never intended to do this, so they used the cheapestr components possible. ie ceramic caps. cheesy switches same input as output. you could remove all th ecoating on the board and find out what chip it was, but i had no luck trying to do this, as ihave little patience. however iam working on a delay/sampler/looper using old computer ram but it is stil in the air right now..

hmmm i am not gonna argue with you, but i know how minesounds.. true it doesn't sound like my old digitech, but i dont' know it lends it'self musicaly , did you listen to the clips..

http://www.geocities.com/thirteenthdevils//sexed.htm

http://www.geocities.com/thirteenthdevils/noiz.htm last two clips on the bottom.

hmmm i am not gonna argue with you, but i know how minesounds.. true it doesn't sound like my old digitech, but i dont' know it lends it'self musicaly , did you listen to the clips..

http://www.geocities.com/thirteenthdevils//sexed.htm

http://www.geocities.com/thirteenthdevils/noiz.htm  last two clips on the bottom.

I listened to the clips and they sound good but the delay is around 1 second and you can certainly store 1 second of high quality sound in 128k memory. But if you slow down the sampling 20 times to get 20 seconds and keep the filtering at 20kHz, you'll hear a 6.4kHz tone accompanying your sound if 8-bit sampling is used . The only way to solve it is by LoPass filtering it at around 3.2kHz ( 1/2 the sampling rate is standard practice to eliminate it) but that limits your highs. I'm also assuming that 8-bit conversion is used. If it's 16-bit, frequency response becomes only half as good. For 16-bit quality at 20-20000Hz, you can get around 1.5 seconds. Of course you can get a bit more out of 128k by limiting sampling size and rate for guitar and get "musical" results.

:D hmm tried r5eplying but it didint' take.. i sent it out to brian already so i will let anyone who builds it decide.. but the first clip is well over 10 seconds longs and sounds pretty darn good to me..

of course it would have been better had i gone ahead and set the bit rate of comppputer when i dumped the audio in