Zebrawood

Anyone have experience with zebrawood in fingerboards? I think it would look really good, but I'm clueless on density/tone issues. Also, I was looking around for cocobolo (cause I really like Wes' cocobolo FB), and all of it I find looks really red. As I recall Wes' was almost like Zebrawood with grain like cocobolo. Anybody got any ideas on that difference there?

Later,

Devon

Bocote and Coco-Bolo are obviously good to go, both are 'oily' woods so no finish is needed like Maple. Zebrawood is great wood, it's very dense and heavy like Coco-Bolo (Bocote is a bit lighter on the average, as far as density issues go), and is always quartersawn (that's what gives it it's zebra figure), ...but it's not an 'oily' wood...

Your call. It might work with no finish. If you decided to spray a finish on it it would definitely work. I would use Stew-Mac's Fretboard Finishing Compound and use several applications, it is a film-finish build product, not really meant to be applied so thickly as to build a finish up, but it certainly will if you applied enough coats. Tru-Oil is like that, it is a film finish also and builds coats, but it takes like 25 freakin' coats to really get anywhere near a real film finish...so I'm thinking about 6-8 coats will get you probably 1/2-way inbetween a raw finish and a real film finish like on Maple necks...just tossing ideas out...

Ok...couple more questions on wood. ANIEGRE, and WENGE. I know I've seen a few people use wenge on FBs so I'm pretty sure it's good for that, but I'm wondering more about bodies with these woods. I'll probably have some more wood questions before the night is over. I got a mad deal on some purpleheart last night, but the picture kinda sucked on it, so we'll have to see how it turns out. I've got plans for my first guitar in the works now...I'm starting get excited now :D . I'll have to post plans on here sometime. Thanks again.

Devon

Back to the zebrawood - I've been using it to make my neck blank (centre strip maple:zebrawood:maple) and will be using a piece from the same blenk for my finger board. Might be a month or two before I start work on finishing though, but I'll try to remember to tell you how it went.