Supposedly Jimmy Page's

guitar_ed

Hi,

I was in a local jewlery store, and the owners son collects & trades guitars. He had a Silvertone solidbody guitar that supposedly was used by Jimmy Page for LZ I.

It is a funky guitar, and the age looks right. A pair of lip stick type PUPs, one tone/one volume. Jack on the front of the guitar. The goofiest thing about this guitar was the fabric around the rim. Regardless of who played it, it is a funky guitar.

Guitar Ed

ps: I did touch it. Maybe I will catch some mojo.

lol, No mention of a Silvertone at this site. LZ I album he used a 58 Tele. Go tell the kid at the jewellry store that I'll give him 50 bucks Cdn for the Silvertone, oh and, does that include the case with the built-in amp?

http://www.guitarworld.com/gearreviews/axo.../0703.page.html

Honestly, if Page ever recorded with a Silvertone they would be selling as much as Danelectros now!

Honestly, if Page ever recorded with a Silvertone they would be selling as much as Danelectros now!

Didn't Danelectro make Silvertone guitars from like '54 to '69 or so? I know those "amp-in-the-case" Silvertones were Danos, but the 70's Silvertones were, IIRC, made by Harmony ( Danelectro factory shut down in 1969, Dan Armstrong/Ampeg made a few guitars from the remaining parts stock, and then they disappeared). According to legend, Page often used a huge number of cheap guitars for doubling parts in the studio, but I can't find any reliable source for what all of them might have been.

Well, somebody has picked up where Dan Armstrong left off and is still making Danelectros. I've seen lots of brand spanking new danos being sold at my local music store, lots of them are reissues. And you are right Armstrong et. al. made the same guitars under the Silvertone label for marketing through Sears dept. store chain. But if someone told me that Jimmy Page played THIS or THAT particular guitar back in 1969, I would sure be interested in learning how he is going to prove it to me, :D . I've got a big stack of guitar mags from the 70's and 80's with lots of interviews with Page and others. Maybe there is some mention in there somewhere about other guitars and gear he tried out. Give me a few days to do some research.

Lots of good info on Danos here:

http://www.danoguitars.com/59-DC.html