Spot leveling frets

I'm a little confused on where to post this so I apologize if it's in the wrong spot.

I've got a guitar that has a few high spots on some of the higher frets from 11-18 and it's really effecting how low my action can be so I've decided to try and level them out for the first time.

I've got my fret rocker and notched straight edge. I've never done this before so I want to make sure I do it right and don't make any avoidable mistakes. It's a cheap LTD MH103qm so i'm not THAT worried about messing up but at the same time I don't have the money nor the skill for a refret if I do.

I'm doing the whole, mark the high spots with a sharpie and slowly file the ink off with a small fine tooth file and then check the progress.
Is there anything I should be aware of other than taking off too much material? and do you have to level the fret board for spot leveling?

If you have a notched straight edge to level the actual fretboard, it'd be good. If you don't have one, let's believe the fret job has been done to a decent level so you can level the fretboard along the fret tops. In the case of the latter check the level at various locations to eliminate a high spot.

For fine tuning you can glue a piece of fine wet'n'dry sandpaper on a popsicle stick and use it as an ultra fine file.

Other than those there really isn't a better tool than a fret rocker and a fine file and numerous checkings during the process.