I'm needy lately, and for that I apologize - fret slotting on cnc speeds/feeds

so... just bought some crap uxcell .0236 bits to 'learn the ropes' on fret slotting.  started off with feed of 35/in-per-min and .012 pass depth... then as I broke bits each time I halved those amounts.  now running at 3 in-per-min and .002 pass depth.  very slow going but more importantly we're burning wood.  so... what bit do you use and how fast do you go?  I'm assuming the better bits you can go faster than this?

fwiw... those uxcell bits suck.  started slotting and we got 5 frets in after about 3 hours.  so turned up the feed from 3 in/min to 5 and snap.  shut it down and put it on hold.  ordered some kyocera off evilbay and a precise bits... to be continued approx thursday!!

in the meantime... if you tell your speeds/feeds/bit - what works for you - I'd surely appreciate.

Kyocera 0.6mm 2-flute endmills from your old mate, Drillman/Carbide Plus on eBay.

400mm/min feed rate with 200mm/min plunge, spindle at 24k RPM, 0.3mm max depth of cut to a final depth of 2.5mm. Takes about 45-50min to do a whole board. Haven't broken one yet. Could probably go harder but I'm not having a race.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, curtisa said:

Kyocera 0.6mm 2-flute endmills from your old mate, Drillman/Carbide Plus on eBay.

400mm/min feed rate with 200mm/min plunge, spindle at 24k RPM, 0.3mm max depth of cut to a final depth of 2.5mm. Takes about 45-50min to do a whole board. Haven't broken one yet. Could probably go harder but I'm not having a race.

well sir, that's 5 times faster than I'm going right now!!  and 5 times deeper so... would be a huge improvement.  I think the issue with the uxcell ones is that they have such a long cutting edge... literally like 1/4".  and it tapers down to that over 1/4".  they were dirt cheap so I figured I'd use them to learn... and not snap a $25 bit from precise bits.  Once again the kyocera looks to be the best design (based on the pictures).  quick taper to that thickness and a very short cutting length.  

anywho, learned a lot milling my fretboard this weekend.... ruined a small fortune in nylon bolts/nuts as my toolpath kept getting just close enough to spin off the nut and send it flying!    Eventually got her dialed in (except for fret slots) so should be good to go on the 'good' material.  

thank you again for the guidance!!