Wilkenson/Gotoh Tremolo - Does it really work?

I would really like to believe what the rep at Wilkenson tells me about their tremolo system,.... "it can everything a floyd can do,... aggressive Van Halen dive-bombs and all,... and comes back to pitch perfectly",..... Anyone have any experience with them, and is this true???? Thanks, Jimmy K. :D

Thanks for the input Bryan. I would like to use something OTHER than a locking nut Floyd on the re-creation Sandoval Polka Dot V we talked about earlier,... as the stock Fender type bent plate tremolo like Randy actually had on his original just won't cut it for me, as I can't even look at one of those things without it going out of tune! So I am hoping that perhaps the Wilkenson/Gotoh might be a good alternative for me. Obviously, I would hate to put all this time and money into this project only to have a guitar which I can't keep in tune if I use the whammy bar. Thanks Again, Jimmy K. :D

Nice locking tuners AND a smooth nut that won't catch your strings...

Having a Floyd doesn't guarantee that you'll stay in tune.

It also depends on playing style...

A friend of mine couldn't touch a Floyd without it going out of tune.

I would play the exact same guitar, and just go nuts on the whammy (doing some nice wanna-be Vai moves!), and it would always stay in tune.

Give it back to my buddy, and it would be out of tune within a minute.

I guess I just have that "magic touch"...

:D

Okay I was in the same situation and wanted a tremolo that stays in tune very well and has no locking nut. I went in a local music store and asked them what they recommend. Theypointed me to a Framus guitar with the Wilkinson Tremolo, a graphite nut and sperzel locking tuners. I have to say I was not able to bring it out of tune even with the most aggressive divebombs in the few minutes I played it.

It was really impressive. I cannot comment on how it holds up if you abuse the whammy for some hours, but it seems pretty tuning stable. I think that if you are not the most violent player, then this tremolo would be very good for you. Just go into a store and check a guitar out that has that trem installed.

HTH,

MK!

I made a guitar from parts. Schaller Locking Tuners, graphite nut, Wilkinson trem. Great setup, could not take it out of tune; from quivers to dive bombs, it was rock steady. I suppose, if you wanted some added protection you could put a hipshot on it too. My guess is you could go without the added expense, but if you have the extra bucks, can't hurt.

Excellent Guys, that's what I needed to find out. Well, so a Wilkenson it will be then. I will let you fellows know how it turns out (and plays) along with some pics. Again, thanks to everyone for their input. Jimmy K. :D