Best epoxy for loose neck joint?

Hi guys,

Im 80% finished my 2nd build and currently need to attach the neck. Unfortunately the joint is pretty loose so I am going to need fill it. My initial thought has been epoxy but Ive come across mixed responses to the notion of epoxy in a neck joint. So, first, is epoxy the correct approach? If so, which one is best suited for the job? [Ive had some experience with some generic amazon brands but they cured rather malleable, so far from ideal) And if epoxy isn't the right option what should I use?

Aesthetically, dust and glue would look a lot worse than, say, a clear epoxy due to the finish on the body and the neck so I'm rather reluctant to go for that. Having said that, functionality over form so I will heed your advice. 

Many thanks

1 minute ago, mattharris75 said:

Solid wood shims are the way to go.

I have thought about that, but it seemed a lot more difficult, One side of the cavity isn't true due to an accident with the router, and there would be a space between the side and the shim that would need filling anyway. Secondly Im building this in my bedroom with very limited tools and am unsure how I would actually create shims of the correct dimensions.

First, why epoxy is not the answer: Aside from what you already told, how would you make sure the neck won't move while curing? A tight neck pocket keeps the neck in the desired position during gluing. Even tightening the clamp will rotate the neck in a loose pocket.

And aside of pictures, it would be nice to know what tools you have access to. A router would make the fix pretty easy, a large chisel might also help in cunning hands.

Thinking of it, there is  a way to use epoxy to fix a loose neck joint. Simply fill the entire pocket with epoxy, possibly using a sacrificable block in the middle to save epoxy, and finally reroute the pocket. Ugliness guaranteed, unless you can make it a river table type feature.