trying to build an 8 string, and goin nuts

Mahog would be cool yeah, but a bit bassy i think. I origionally planned to use mahogany but I am currently re-considering moving onto something a bit clearer like alder perhaps...maybe even go the whole hog and go to maple *bright* :D

As for the EMGs, yeah, all EMGs are blade style pickups, and none of them have pole-pieces. For standard string spacing and 8 strings a 707 is too narrow, the 5 string bass pickup is closer, but to be on the safe side I am going for the 6 string version (the "45" housing - 4.5" long B) ). If you choose the 40, or 45 DC you will in effect have a nice big emg 85; as thats all they are, guts from an 85 in a biiig box.

Hrrm, well all the places I have mentioned up to now have been emg (www.emgpickups.com) LGM guitars (www.lgmguitars.com) and hipshot (www.hipshotproducts.com) . There about the only manufacturers I am using, i think. If you have any more questions fire em my way, Ive been researching this project for a good few months so the chances are, I will know the answer :D

thanks jammy, i just got done surfing the web and found hipshot an a bunch of other places. also shamray in russia looks like a competent builder and pretty resonable on prices. i origanaly contacted conklin about building one for me and just about had a heart attack! it was like 5 or 6 thousand and several monthes time.

i am going to try to build one, or i should say make a 7 string into an 8 string just to see if that will work, before i build one from scratch, and i will let every one know how it turns out. if it does work good ill build one and have some of the components build for it.

ive never really used any thing but emgs, so im kinda scared to try anything else. does any one make a good metal pickup that doesnt have too mch hiss or feedback, and any recomendations on a good single coil.