trying to build an 8 string, and goin nuts

hey guys, im new here, and this may sound crazy, but im trying to build an 8 string from scratch. the thing is i want to build it within the dimensions of a 7 string, you know, basicly fit 8 strings on a 7 string neck, and use 7 string pickps, etc. the only major holdup is the bridge. I cant play without a tremelo, does anyone know someway, or someone that can build one, and does this idea seem like it will work? thanks for any help

seth

im not sure if they can do it, but there is a russian guitar company by the name of shamray that do full custom guitars, one of there workers posts on guitar.com, you could ask if they would be willing to machine you an 8-string trem, that being said, your definatly not going to be able to fit 8 strings in the space of a 7-string neck since the 8th string is a bass string (also you had better be using 2 truss rods, just a heads up for the future) good luck on it though dude!

also unless your going to be using a 'blade' type of pickup up i dont think you will be able to use 7 string pups, shamray also does custom pickups, but like i said there in russia, i would suggest going to guitar.com and making a post addressed to rockandroller since he would know more about the custom shop then i do, i plan on ordering a custom neck from them soon but there a bit backed up and its about a 6 month wait right now.

My 8 string is in the process of beeing built by jeremy at LGM, and I have been doing alot of research into parts available. I know from a friend that hipshot will make a custom 8 string trem for around the $250-$300 mark (US). Give the a mail, they might well be able to help :D

I dont really know about the nuts, as no one has ever actually employed hipshot to make an 8 string trem; its just something they COULD do. Im not having a trem on the 8 string, but am still going for locking tuners, I just prefer the stability. Allthough I suppose making an 8 string locking nut wouldn't be hard as its just a case of splicing a couple of modified 6 string ones together - definatly do-able.

As for the cost of mine, Im going for a few swish items such as a quilted board and a flash inlay, but its coming to around the $2000 mark.

Why use locking tuners with a fixed bridge? I see no reason so long as you're using decent tuners to begin with, and you wind the string properly (not too many turns around the post). The strings will stretch, the entire instrument will shrink & swell with temperature, and the lockers will just end up being an impediment to tuning up every time this happens (which is nearly every day in my experience).

I play a stock LP a lot and no matter what, I always need to tune up a little bit every time I pick it up. And its not because the tuners slip.

A 7 string Floyd type can be modified to have an eighth string saddle off the baseplate. Not a Floyd saddle, and not fine tunable unless you get fancy. But it is intonatable, and works with the ball end on. I know because when 7's first came out I designed it to convert a 6 into a 7. Basically you have a movable saddle "cradle" piece and string through the back like a strat. Then, since it's not locking or fine tunable, you can use the 7 string lock nut with graphite for the eighth string.

it also seems to me if it had pole pieces they would also offer it in an f spaced version

I suppose that makes sense. I just looked up the 707 to check if it had pole pieces, read what the website had, and responded based on that. Anyway... :D

Wow, you guys know ur stuff! i appreciate the help too. the guitar is going to be used for metal, so i would like to have pickups that would be better suited for that style. i have an american bcrich iron bird, that i have active emgs and really like the tone, and was leaning towards them if possible.

i really would like to make 8 fit to a 7 because i really dont want to get any thicker than a 7 string neck if possible.

i am new at this so im sure are some basics i dont have yet but im trying to gobble up as much info as i canbefore i start cutting wood

jammy do you have any contact info or web adds for some of the places you mentioned.

also i had a limited edition usa charvel a while back that was made of african mohogany with active emgs that i really loved, do you think afr. mohogany would be a good choice for this.

thanks again

seth