Building your own Cables and Footswitch

Anders

There has been quite a bit of discussion on these two topics, but they are pretty old, and I thought I would bring it forward in hopes of finding answers to my questions.

I'm interested in building my own guitar cables (I've done it with scrap before buy I want to purchase the parts myself as well) However, I'm having a hard time finding a supplier of quality single conductor shielded wire needed to make the cables. If anyone knows a good place to get this, as well as a good supplier of telephone plugs. I would be thrilled to here. (I don't have access to a radioshack, so I'm mostly looking online)

Secondly I want to build my own single switch footswitch (ie the boss FS-1) for my laney gh50L head. I have a pretty good idea of what's going on in the wiring but I'm unsure, if anyone has one and wants to send me a few pics, or if someone has a schematic, or hell even a better Idea of what's going on than I do, please respond.

(I figure it's working essentialy like a typical switch connecting the parts of the phono plug and thus connecting the cicuitry in the amp).

ANyways, I'm new to the forum, but got sent here in good faith. Hope somone can help.

THANKS!

ANDERS

I built my own cables with Canare cable and Neutrik plugs that I bought from HAVE Inc. Not sure if they have the best prices currently, or if they ever had the best prices, but I couldn't find any other place that sold both the cable and plugs I wanted. One big problem is that they have a sorta high minimum order, so lets just say I have more Canare speaker cable than I know what to do with. Maybe their minimum order has even gone up, or maybe they don't have a minimum order anymore.

I rigged up a jig with clothespins to hold the cable and plug while I soldered them.

for anyone building your own cables.. i have 18 guage stereo wire thats shielded.. i am giving it away fro postage. i got it in 25 foot sections..

drop me an email if you are interested

austenfantanio@yahoo.com

wow quick replies

very nice of everyone!

at least I have more of somewhere to start with now (I'm trying to get switchcraft plugs, if anyone know of a good deal). NOW...about that foot switch .. hahah.

Again thank you, I've finally saved up enough to quit borrowing my friends equipment and buy my own, and found myself short for cables and a footswitch. I had been considering trying to build pedals already and I guess this should be a good place to start. Kind of new to getting into the nitty gritty of guitar electronics, and have been kind of overwhelmed the last week or so looking around.

Thanks

ANDERS

Have a look at guitar gadgets website, it's website of the month so you can reach it off the home page. Also for the footswitch have a look at www.18watt.com these guys build their own amps and I'm sure there's a thread somewhere on there that they're talking about footswitches.

Hope it's of some help.