Paul Gilbert Ibanez Ice-Stroyer

Invader Zim

2 hours ago, Invader Zim said:

Before I head to the print shop for my usual method of making a template, 

Just out of curiosity, what is your usual method?

That's a good method. I wonder if anyone has actually made a tutorial about making templates based on photos. If not, it could be useful for budding luthiers if someone familiar with the process wrote some guiding lines.

ok so was listening in on this... we get this request a lot.  so I whipped together a quick and dirty walkthrough on how to do this with gimp (a freeware graphics tool).  it could probably use some tuning but for the 40 mins I put into it... should get you to the point you can create a template for literally any guitar.  In this tutorial I take a picture of an alvarez dana scoop, build a fretboard layout using fretfind2D, the in literally one step I crop out only the body from the surrounding background.  

I have a lot more experience in photoshop, but opted for gimp since I'm guessing others might not have photoshop.  it IS a much better tool... but once again gimp comes through and yout CAN do anything in gimp that you could in photoshop.  anywho, hope it helps.

MakeGtrTemplateInGimp.pdf

• Like 2

• 3 months later...