Advice needed: Fuji turbine vs hvlp/compressor setup

Hey all

been using a fuji 2-stage turbine system for about a year and I’m just not totally happy with how it sprays. 

for reference I’m spraying Target’s EM6000 water based 1k. I’m in SoCal so almost always warmer than 70 and pretty low humidity  

I’ve tried different sized air caps/needles, different amounts of thinning, but it always seems to lay down a pretty uneven, sputtery kinda coat. Getawayable with for clear coats but pretty splotchy looking for anything color. 

so I’m wondering if a turbine system is just a wrong choice and should spend the $$ to switch to a decent sized compressor and HVLP gun. Happy to do so if my results improve. 

any advice?

i know nothing about turbines but I know @ADFinlayson was using them (or at least I think he was) and then switched to a compressor, perhaps he'll chime in.  

I use a compressor and hvlp and it is so easy i just plugged and played.  not even using expensive stuff either... just a harbor freight mcgraw 22gal and a $15 gun.  works great for nitro anyway... have not sprayed poly w it yet but given so much feedback on this type of system online I can't imagine it's anything dif.  hope something there helps.

yes IMO a hvlp turbine is not the right tool for spraying guitars. I was using an Earlex 3 stage turbine for a few years and I got ok results but with a lot of level sanding But the turbine and gun setup just fires at way to high pressure for a quality finish with no way to regulate pressure on the machine or gun and the type of connections made it impossible to fit a 3rd party pressure regulator. IMO those machines are great if you want to spray emulsion on a wall but that's about it.

I swapped out my turbine system (which I sold for as much as I bought it new so you can get a good chunk of your money back) and bought a 24L compressor and iWata LPH-80 and it changed my life. Barely any level sanding, I used to start at 400-600, now I start at 1000-1200 on open grain woods like mahogany. around 1200-1500 to level a maple top. 

I got my gear from spray guns direct. They do a compressor kit which comes with the compressor, cables, water filter and adaptors. The gun and gauge are sold seperately but I'd highly recommend the iWata gun, it's a whole new world compared to the turbine guns. I think the total spend was about £500 to get setup with the compressor but I sold the turbine for the £300 I bought it for so the conversion really wasn't expensive.

Between a decent spraying setup and a proper buffing arbour, I have reduced the time it takes me to get a good finish dramatically. highly recommend.

• Like 1