LP style build

nakedzen

I would think that sanding to 800 grit prevents oil from penetrating. Some oil manufacturers say not to sand over 150, which seems a bit coarse to me. Personally I may go up to 240 but I guess 180 should generally be enough to get rid of any sanding marks on wood. Then the subsequent oil layers are sanded finer of course. With that plastic in the grain It will be interesting to see how the finish holds in time. I'm not saying it doesn't but definitely not a by-the-book type of finish.

1 minute ago, nakedzen said:

I wanted to see if I can get away with it

I like it that way myself. Or at least I do it that way. Sometimes you loose sometimes you win, but it is learning experience in both cases. So I guess you could say that you always win :)

I have used a considerable amount of time trying to find finishing techniques other than 2K paint (not only guitars but woodworking in general). I like the warm feel of oil and shellac finishes but durability is an issue to me. And they take ages to apply and to cure. In many cases I see I'm now going back to 2k finishes. Not only durable but also fast to cure. 

• Like 1

Well I like oil for the same exact reason! It's faster than lacquer since no weeks long wait to polish. Personally I can't do 2k, I don't have the space for it. Only do britetone now since that I can apply in the study.

For oil, I just once in a while wipe a thin coat, maybe two coats per day, takes a couple days but I can work on something else meanwhile, wind a couple pickups, solder the wiring harness etc.

• Like 1

Yes, one component clear coats dry awfully long. I like oils too because I can do the finish in workshop. 2k has to be done in paint booth and guns need to be cleaned with thinner. Smelly and unhealthy business. But painting itself doesn’t take much time. And can be sanded within couple of hours. Polished next day. That I like.

For my current build I wanted to try wipe on polyurethane as top coat because I can do it in the shop. But even with really thin layers the stuff I ended up using dries a day or two. I’m unlikely to use this process ever again. Although I think the finish is turning out looking fine.

• Like 1

Did the wiring harness since I was bored waiting for the glue to set. Blower switch mod with push pull, we'll see how annoying the sound will be straight to output. The pickup is a complete mystery, I've never played a P90-equipped guitar so I don't even know what it should sound like. :D I only have ceramic magnets, I think maybe I gots to order some A5 and A2 for testing.

20230207_205818.jpg

I like it. It has everything you need. Or at least what I need. I rarely use neck pickups these days. Apart from my black single cut which has EMG 66 TW on neck and that has a single coil option. Which sounds nice. 

What's the nut? Is it tusq or delrin or some other polymer based? I've been thinking dyeing bone nut black, but haven't got into experimenting. Above mentioned black single cut still has a raw bone nut which I temporarily installed when I just wanted to be done with it. But I'll change it to black once it comes back to the shop for neck shaving. Some day.

• Like 1