My first scratch build - through-neck double cut

Hi everyone,
I hope you are all well and safe. New member here from Essex-UK (originally from Brazil).

After successfully building three partscasters (two tele-style and one LP-style), I decided it was time to be more adventurous. So, I decided to start my first build from scratch.
My concept is a light chambered neck-through double-cut, single p90 with a slotted headstock (similar to the B&G little sister). The silhouette is a double cut inspired of the Gibson Les Paul (I mirrored the horn side).

image.jpeg.9ac502a00764ab9ca31f77fc53a6646f.jpeg

The body will be cherry with a walnut top. The walnut I have is quite thin (4mm) so I will laminate it with maple (2.5mm). 

For the neck I laminated maple, wenge and padauk. I am coping the profile of my 2017 Eastman T64: slim taper with 1 ¾” nut

Half Tone 90 P90 (neck) by Bare Knuckles. 

• GrandTune Classic Hauser (without guide bushings) with snakewood buttons.
  • Schroeder TL Half-Bridge 
  • One volume (500K) and one tone (500k no load). 0.22uF capacitor.

I started this in October by is progressing slowly because:
(a)    I don’t have a workshop and work in a friend’s house
(b)    I have a full time job
(c)    I am writing my masters degree dissertation
(d)    I have 5 months old twins
(e)    All the above.
I hope to finish it before fall.

image.png

1 hour ago, BCS1980-UK said:

Gibson Les Paul (I mirrored the horn side)

Having had the privilege of accessing both several LP templates and a dual cutaway JR one I noticed that the JR shares the same upper bout, the cutaway being cut away from a single cut. Thus mirroring isn't a great sin.

"Inspired by" is a thing I really love and appreciate! There's too many builders who buy a template and try to build a carbon copy of a classic...

Your neck looks really classy! A semi-hollow neck-thru with a top is a bit challenging but doable. Add to that a neck break angle for even more complexity... Done that... Just take your time! Fall '24 is a good goal...

14 hours ago, Charlie H 72 said:

Looks like a great build coming up! The knobs are quite close together which could cause some difficulty. They are also far from where your hands will fall while playing, which could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how often you like to access the controls. 

Hi Charlie, thanks.

Knobs are intentionally ‘out of the way’ as I usually don’t touch them while playing.

13 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

Having had the privilege of accessing both several LP templates and a dual cutaway JR one I noticed that the JR shares the same upper bout, the cutaway being cut away from a single cut. Thus mirroring isn't a great sin.

"Inspired by" is a thing I really love and appreciate! There's too many builders who buy a template and try to build a carbon copy of a classic...

Your neck looks really classy! A semi-hollow neck-thru with a top is a bit challenging but doable. Add to that a neck break angle for even more complexity... Done that... Just take your time! Fall '24 is a good goal...

Hi Bizman,

I actually have a template of the Jr. Double cut. But I don’t like the ‘flat, perpendicular angle the wings join the body.

I intentionally decided for a flat top and no neck angle (hence the teleish bridge). It would be too much for my skill leve to add neck angles and caved top. It might be too much as it is, now.🤣

49 minutes ago, BCS1980-UK said:

I actually have a template of the Jr. Double cut. But I don’t like the ‘flat, perpendicular angle the wings join the body.

That's a valid reason.

The silhouette made me think of Vox guitars, there's something similar in the cutaways although Vox has sharper tips in their horns. When searching for the Voxes I accidentally found the Ibanez AR series. The body of the AR520H looks surprisingly similar to yours, don't you think?

https://www.ibanez.com/common/product_artist_file/file/p_region_AR520HFM_VLS_4L_01.png

This is not meant to critisize your decisions, it's just another example of not reinventing the wheel when the existing design is already perfect.

1 hour ago, Bizman62 said:

That's a valid reason.

The silhouette made me think of Vox guitars, there's something similar in the cutaways although Vox has sharper tips in their horns. When searching for the Voxes I accidentally found the Ibanez AR series. The body of the AR520H looks surprisingly similar to yours, don't you think?

https://www.ibanez.com/common/product_artist_file/file/p_region_AR520HFM_VLS_4L_01.png

This is not meant to critisize your decisions, it's just another example of not reinventing the wheel when the existing design is already perfect.

Absolutely Bizzman! You are spot on.

I actually looked for an Ibanez template for the silhouette but couldn’t find a good one.

• 3 weeks later...