Change Strat/Tele string spacing

You do know that they already make at least two different string spacings for Strats, 52.4 and 56.4 mm, don't you? For Tele it seems that 54 mm is the standard at least for the ashtray bridges. Some hardtails like Hipshot seem to be found a hair narrower but not wider.

You didn't mention whether you'd want to widen or narrow the string spacing. Regarding widening your neck may end up being too narrow at the dusty end. However that would be easy to test: Simply cut strips out of a soda can and slide them between the pole pieces. Some bridges don't have extra space for that maneuver, though.

Filing the pole pieces narrower might not work as easy as the spacers as the gaps only would become wider between them. For narrowing you should also move the end screw holes which would mean redoing the entire base. Widened holes would allow the poles to move sideways in an uncontrolled way which is not desirable.

Note that I'm talking about individual pole pieces here.

1 hour ago, Bizman62 said:

Filing the pole pieces narrower

Took me a second. I think you mean saddles.

But yes, I agree with your conclusion. If the screw holes are not moved the saddles end up either tilted or with with gaps between them.
Elongated holes could possibly work but like @Bizman62 said there is a risk of sideways movement. 

bridge.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, henrim said:

I think you mean saddles.

Indeed... I read "pole pieces" and that stuck on me.

Speaking about pole pieces, if your strings are even partially over them they should capture the vibrations well enough not to be audibly off.

• Like 1

To answer the first question, yes I'd like them to be narrower to match Gibson bridge spacing. There's not a lot in it but I do find myself missing the string sometimes when I play my Fender Stratocaster and it would be nice if I could get my Strat the same as a Gibson. I was wondering if there are after-market saddles (or something) rather than filing because I would mess it up. When you consider the differences you wonder why there would be a problem, the spacings of guitars and bridges I have are:

59 Reissue LP 51.59mm

Gotoh TM bridge 52mm

Fender 50's Strat 52.5mm

Fender Tele bridge 54mm

Once I get these Fender style guitars finished I will see how it goes. I might find the fretboard radius is more the problem rather than string spacing

1mm is only 0.0394". Are you using hardtail bridges? If so then make a new bridge plate with moved holes and then take the saddles and mill them on each side and remove about 0.0025" on each side. This will reduce the width approx 1mm or 0.0394",  The Tele bridge would take more, but I think it would be doable as well. :)

MK

• Like 1

On 4/7/2023 at 3:59 PM, Crusader said:

rather than filing because I would mess it up

Anyone would. If you file the chrome it most likely will chip at the edges. If you're careful it won't happen instantly but it will when the inner metal starts to oxidize.

The Tele is the biggest problem here, they don't seem to make narrower than 54 mm and that's quite a lot more than 51.59. 52 mm would be much closer. Now that I figured out what to search for I found this: https://www.aliexpress.com/i/4000726244665.html

Yes chipping at the edges is what I would want to avoid, I thought there might be after-market saddles that cater for this but the concern for sideways movement is still there. I think the best way to achieve my goal is to have a cradle to hold the saddles in place, taking some ideas from a Tunomatic bridge

By the way that Wilkinson bridge is great for matching the Tele to the Strat but would still require some attention to achieve Gibson spacing. But putting that aside did you read the ad? It goes;

"The telecaster is small in size and easy to carry. it can be used as a gift for your friends or family members on special occasions"

I am Laughing so hard! What do they think it is, a box of chocolates?

Oh my! I didn't read the text at all, only looked at the string spacing values. A gift item indeed!

BTW took a quick look at comparable string spacing specs. Couldn't find the '59 LP bridge but considering that it's so close to the 52 mm Gotoh I suppose that they're close enough. Instead of the total width I looked at the individual string spacing: For 52 mm it seems to be 10.4 mm, for 54 mm it's 10.8 mm. That 0.4 mm difference is quite a lot indeed and may well cause mispicking. 52.5 mm has the string spacing of 10.5 mm which means the '59 LP should be at about 10.35 mm.

After having dropped all those numbers I guess up to 52.5 mm you should be within your comfort zone. The 0.15 mm difference between the LP and the Strat is as much as the thickness of two human hairs of European origin or 1½ Asian hairs.

• Haha 1