The pointiest build

• 2 weeks later...

Here's how it started

20230504_132418.thumb.jpg.b244730b1745a827c77b963fd9766e1d.jpg

Here's how it's going :D

20230505_083948.thumb.jpg.fd301e2c52fce1d34b630105fc466b99.jpg

Hand tools are much more dangerous than power tools it seems. Managed to hold onto the work piece and saw into my hand with the other side of the pull saw. Needed two stitches. Good thing about hand tools though, you very quickly stop doing further damage!

• Like 2

Ouch!

Any tool is dangerous if you don't follow common safety rules.

You wouldn't have held onto the workpiece with your hand if you had used any sort of handheld power saw, would you?

That said, don't ask about the scars in my hands...

• Like 1

I have been stitched a few times after a hand tool mishap. Nothing severe though and I have never been hospitalized from a power tool accident. Couple of years ago I got a reminder though, that hospital may not be the place to go after such accident. I somehow misplaced a vernier on top of the miter saw and sawed away until there were pieces of carbide flying in the air. Judging how the pieces penetrated the concrete wall I guess I was lucky that non off them hit my head or body. I did have safety glasses though 😬

• Like 1

Just in case you didn't know: Paduk is an amazing reddish brown that nearly glows when its freshly worked. A year later it's a dark, rich reddish brown. But the sapwood doesn't darken appreciably. So sometime next year, that fretboard will have an amazing level of contrast. I highly encourage you to get the line of demarcation as close to the middle as possible for maximum impact. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, avengers63 said:

Just in case you didn't know: Paduk is an amazing reddish brown that nearly glows when its freshly worked. A year later it's a dark, rich reddish brown. But the sapwood doesn't darken appreciably. So sometime next year, that fretboard will have an amazing level of contrast. I highly encourage you to get the line of demarcation as close to the middle as possible for maximum impact. 

How do you like to finish padauk? I believe it needs something like maple?

2 hours ago, nakedzen said:

How do you like to finish padauk? I believe it needs something like maple?

I believe some people leave them raw. I put a dab of oil on the one I made. Padouk is more open grain and lighter colour that for example rosewood so it does suck dirt in it. If I was to make an other one I'd possibly use a little more oil. Raw or lightly oiled padouk gets considerably darker in less time than a clear coated or shellac treated surface.

2 hours ago, henrim said:

Raw or lightly oiled padouk gets considerably darker in less time than a clear coated or shellac treated surface.

What he said.

Nothing will stop it from darkening. In your case, I would put a barrier finish like lacquer on it for the same reason you'd do that to a maple board. The sap wood will get filthy in a hurry.

I don't mind darkening, it'll fit better with the korina. How about ca fill, then tru oil? My usual go to, and I have it already. Lacquer I'd need to order from somewhere, and I don't have the space or tools to spray so it'd be something like britetone. I'd prefer to have a natural look, tru oil gloss is the most I'd go with.

Any given barrier finish can be used to pore fill. You simply have to sand-back until the pores are filled. If you use c/a, you'll almost certainly seal the area around the pores, preventing the oil from penetrating.

Strictly speaking, you don't HAVE to pore fill the fretboard. But if you don't you'll risk the pores filling up with gunk.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, avengers63 said:

If you had any idea how many times something like that has happened to me.....

To any one of us, to be precise. There's reglued splinters in each of my builds, often more than just one.

Am I seeing right, did you make it worse before making it better? I mean, did you cut more wood off down to the fret slot instead of trying to make a smaller patch?

• Like 1