Measure twice Cut once?

OK, I decided to clean up my 1st. guitar that I made at 14.

The bridge and pickup were Gibson from the 70s so I figured I sell them since I don't use the guitar.

I figured I'd put cheap parts on it.

After I took the pick guard off I discovered I made a lot of changes to it back in the early years.

I glued a block in for the new bridge and when I went to drill the holes at 3/4" deep I for some reason I thought 1" ARRRRRRRRR

DSC_0686.JPG

DSC_0688.JPG

DSC_0723.JPG

DSC_0724.JPG

• Sad 1

Goddamnit! I typed an answer this morning and once again I didn't send it!!! And I even draw an image which I didn't save!

Anyhow, given you can glue the splinter back you can take one step further beyond plugging the hole. And that is drilling the other hole through the body as well!

This is not my idea, I stole it from Ruokangas Guitars who reinvented an already existing product by Jason Schroeder. The idea is to secure the bushings from the bottom side.

Simplified a re-drawing from this morning:

image.png.fc85bf3b69f88369ad305c10edf4ded8.png

[Edit] Submitted successfully [/edit]

• Like 1

A full depth fix - not a bad idea at all as the original wood had proved to be splintery.

That reminds me of a fellow builder who glued in blocks of wenge as the mahogany was too soft to securely hold the strap button screw. Adding a couple more just for looks made it a feature instead of a fix.

reading this I can't help but think about what a build would have looked like if I had done one when i was 14... i suspect it would have been horrific.  cudos to you... your's has some pizazz.

ballsy approach to covering the hole... if it were me I'd just put a cool veneer on the back side... but seems like you've come out ok either way.