Dust Dust Dust

woodfab

I've been doing woodworking since I was 10.

Got married and have had a wood shop for the last 40 years.

Now the wife is saying she can't take the sawdust any more.

My shop is in the basement and I have dust collection but she says it's not good enough.  

It seems the dust doesn't bother me but she's not going to put up with it.

I'm enjoying making guitars so I've been routing and sanding out side but now the winter is coming.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! what's a boy to do? 

• Sad 1

It seems you'll have to get a new location for your shop outside the house. Maybe a shed in the backyard? Looking at your location it seems that you wouldn't need too much insulation to keep it above freezing point, in the summer rather the other way around. And since woodworking will be somewhat dusty in an outside location as well you'd need a mudroom in your house for changing to dust free clothes. Maybe she'd also like you to get a shower to get your hair and skin dust free?

Fortunately my wife is not that tidy as we have firewood in every room and they tend to spread dust and other particles all over the place. Which reminds me that I'll have to take the four bags in the hallway to the wood shed and fill them...

how are you defining dust collection? a dust collector on the tool is not enough in my experience as a lot of the dust will never make it to the extractor and the extractor might not be filtering small enough particles. The really tiny particles go straight though into the atmosphere in the basement. Have you got an air filter for the fine atmospheric dust? 

I think the best thing you could do (if possible) is to fit a decently sized extra that will send dust straight outside. Is there an exterior wall anywhere on the basement? An axial fan/grill on an external wall would be ideal, they're pretty quiet too.