"Scarf Joint" on Fender-style neck?

OK, so this is going to sound weird, but hear me out!

I made a multi-laminate neck for an SG-style guitar, and have the rest of it left over that I figured I'd use for another (see attached photo).  Well, I want to use it for a Jazz-bass, and it's long enough for the neck and heel, but not quite long enough for the headstock.

I am thinking of attaching another piece of wood for the headstock, etc., as I'm going to do a veneer on the face anyway.  I REALLY want to use this as the neck, as my customers love the idea of me using the "same" neck for both of their instruments.

Only thing is - I'm doing a Fender-style headstock with no angle.

How would you approach this?  I know it's possible, because I mean, look at a scarf joint - joining 2 pieces of wood.  What would it matter if it was a completely different piece of wood?  The wood WILL be of the same exact type as the main part of the neck, however.

Anyway, I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone has done it, and would love some ideas.

Thank you!

20231127_180929.jpg

It’s should be ok. When you do a scarf joint to a neck with angled headstock it fixes the issue with grain direction that a neck carved from one piece has. So, technically scarfed neck is a stronger neck. In your case there’s hardly any benefit, but on the other hand with a proper glue job there shouldn’t be any problem either.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, henrim said:

It’s should be ok. When you do a scarf joint to a neck with angled headstock it fixes the issue with grain direction that a neck carved from one piece has. So, technically scarfed neck is a stronger neck. In your case there’s hardly any benefit, but on the other hand with a proper glue job there shouldn’t be any problem either.

Thank you my friend.  I thought so, but it's nice to hear another opinion.  I thought so.  I mean, it makes sense doesn't it?  I just think it would be a waste of an opportunity not to use that "sister" neck for bandmates' instruments.  They're stoked about it too.

Cheers!

Gluing flat pieces together for added thickness isn't unusual in guitar building. You already mentioned the scarf joint. The heel of an acoustic often is made out of several pieces as well. On our class we've taught to glue slabs in the headstock area to make the wood thick enough for the break angle - a headstock veneer will cover the seams and the sides will look like cut of one block as the grain direction stays the same. Last but not least, as you know you don't need much gluing surface for a set neck joint which is prone to the same string tension.

That said I strongly recommend you to use the actual neck as much as possible to support the headstock extension. The top veneer is a good idea, too. Something like this:

image.thumb.png.9afa08595bd8ceafaf17c6f6fce7226a.png

• Like 1

How thick is it? You only need 19-20mm for a fender style neck if your'e glueing a fretboard on. 

On some fender style necks, the headstock, where it scoops down, is no deeper than the centre of the neck shaft anyway. Or is it that this piece isn't long enough?

There are other options to integrate it too, you could thin it down and use it as a back strap or headplate, or even rip it along it's width, glue them side by side to make a scratch plate or control covers.