Wiring Help (Complicated)?

AbramT80

Hello all, I’m getting ready to put together a circuit for a guitar. It’s got a single Humbucker (Seymour Duncan nazghul), tesi LED kill switch, single volume pot, and an onboard boost/preamp switch!(https://www.ebay.com/itm/195590131221?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=OE0w0tK7TNu&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=ncwrvoyjtbk&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY)  I’ve got no idea where to start, I usually just follow diagrams but I couldn’t find one for this. Also if anyone knows if you can  hook up the kill switch so the LED turns off when the guitar is unplugged (I have no idea if that’s possible but if it please let me know) please advise, thanks!

• Like 1

On 2/20/2024 at 2:42 PM, AbramT80 said:

I’ve got no idea where to start, I usually just follow diagrams but I couldn’t find one for this

This is what I get when I google for 'Artec EX3 Wiring':

http://artecsound.com/pickups/electronics/wiring/wiring-E01a.jpg

Seems pretty straightforward - the preamp just slots in between the volume pot and the output jack. Substitute everything upstream of the volume pot with your SD Nazgul instead.

On 2/20/2024 at 2:42 PM, AbramT80 said:

Also if anyone knows if you can  hook up the kill switch so the LED turns off when the guitar is unplugged (I have no idea if that’s possible but if it please let me know) please advise, thanks!

Again, this info is provided by the manufacturer:

https://tesiswitch.com/installation

The 'Passive Pickups with Stereo Jack' diagram seems to have everything you need.

I took a slug at wiring this up and came up dry, I’ve attached some pictures below but in case it helps diagnose it: I plugged it all in and got lots of feedback, also the LED killswitch should light up when plugged in to the output Jack but it’s not. Please advise!

IMG_3991.jpeg

IMG_3992.jpeg

IMG_3993.jpeg

IMG_3994.jpeg

IMG_3995.jpeg

IMG_3996.jpeg

Issues I can see:

• Battery negative lead isn't connected to anything:

image.png

Needs to be soldered to the ring lug of the output jack:

image.png

• Poorly attached white wire to kill switch, looks like it's barely held on:

image.png

• Can't see clearly what's going on here, but I assume the push-pull is wired for a coil split function? If so, make sure you have red+white attached to the middle-left lug and green+braid soldered to ground (lower-left lug will suffice if this lug already has a connection to ground, or shell of pot will work too). Make sure there are no shorts between these pairs of wires and anything else:

image.png

Hello thank you for your reply, I forgot to mention it but you’re right - the push/pull pot is supposed to be wired up for a coil split function. Thanks again for your advice - I made the fixes you pointed out but I’m still having the same issue: a pretty loud buzz and the LED killswitch isn’t lighting up, however, the killswitch works other than that. I do have a signal from the pickup but it’s drowned out in the buzz. I also saw that my output Jack has 4 terminals and I’m not sure what they’re each for cause most of the diagrams I see have 3. At this point I feel like I have it wired incorrectly but I don’t know for sure. Please advise

Split it into smaller chunks - get the pickup working with the preamp first then work on adding the killswitch.

3 hours ago, AbramT80 said:

a pretty loud buzz

Have you remembered to also include a bridge ground connection?

3 hours ago, AbramT80 said:

I also saw that my output Jack has 4 terminals

The output jack you have has a switched tip connection, hence the fourth lug. 

Almost there! I’m pretty sure everything is working though it’s hard to be for sure without strings on (I definitely have a signal from the pickup it’s just a little hard to tell if the coil split and preamp are working but I think they are) The only thing not working is the led on the kill switch (the killswitch itself is working and cutting out the signal but it’s not lit up), I tested it a week or so ago so I know I don’t have a faulty switch. You also mentioned a “switched tip output Jack” just curious - what’s that?

2 hours ago, AbramT80 said:

The only thing not working is the led on the kill switch (the killswitch itself is working and cutting out the signal but it’s not lit up), I tested it a week or so ago so I know I don’t have a faulty switch.

How were you testing it? Any chance the LED has been damaged since the killswitch was installed in the guitar?

2 hours ago, AbramT80 said:

You also mentioned a “switched tip output Jack” just curious - what’s that?

The jack has a little 'paddle' that is sprung against the tip lug, which has its own dedicated terminal that can be wired to:

image.png

With no plug inserted into the socket the paddle makes electrical contact with the tip, shorting the two together. Inserting a plug into the socket forces the tip connection to separate from the paddle, breaking the connection between the two. If you watch the socket closely as you insert a lead you'll be able to observe the switching action for yourself.

Can be handy if you need to switch something based on whether or not a plug is inserted (not relevant in your particular case though).

I tested it just by installing a battery and completing the circuit between the ground and hot I think (I’m not sure if that’s the correct terminology so sorry if it doesn’t make sense)

I really doubt it’s been damaged since installing it, I don’t see how it could’ve been damaged.

I asked about the 4 tip output Jack because it was sent with the preamp so I thought maybe I had to use it specifically?

Would the last one be similar to your situation except the kill switch? One pickup etc. http://artecsound.com/pickups/electronics/wiring/wiring-B04a.jpg. It's for a bass but then only difference is the amount of strings...

And would the jack act as an on-off switch to prevent battery draining when not plugged in?

Alright after some trial and error I got the whole circuit working I think, unfortunately I blew the LED in the kill switch cause I forgot to attach the resistor to the power supply terminal so I’ll need to order another one. Other than that thanks everyone for your time and help - much appreciated!